Highlights for varenicline
varenicline Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat
- breathing problems
- changes in vision
- chest pain or chest tightness
- confusion, trouble speaking or understanding
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- pain in legs when walking
- problems with balance, talking, walking
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- ringing in ears
- sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg
- suicidal thoughts or other mood changes
- trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- nausea, vomiting
- strange dreams
- stomach gas
- trouble sleeping
varenicline May Interact with Other Medications
- alcohol or any product that contains alcohol
- other stop smoking aids
How to Use varenicline
You should set a date to stop smoking and tell your doctor. Start this medicine one week before the quit date. You can also start taking this medicine before you choose a quit date, and then pick a quit date that is between 8 and 35 days of treatment with this medicine. Stick to your plan; ask about support groups or other ways to help you remain a 'quitter'.
Take this medicine by mouth after eating. Take with a full glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. This medicine is not approved for use in children.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- bipolar disorder, depression, schizophrenia or other mental illness
- heart disease
- if you often drink alcohol
- kidney disease
- peripheral vascular disease
- suicidal thoughts, plans, or attempt; a previous suicide attempt by you or a family member
- an unusual or allergic reaction to varenicline, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular check ups. Ask for ongoing advice and encouragement from your doctor or healthcare professional, friends, and family to help you quit. If you smoke while on this medication, quit again
Your mouth may get dry. Chewing sugarless gum or sucking hard candy, and drinking plenty of water may help. Contact your doctor if the problem does not go away or is severe.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells.
The use of this medicine may increase the chance of suicidal thoughts or actions. Pay special attention to how you are responding while on this medicine. Any worsening of mood, or thoughts of suicide or dying should be reported to your health care professional right away.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
Chantix Continuing Month Box, 1mg
Chantix Continuing Month PAK, 1mg
Chantix Starting Month Box, 0.5mg
Chantix Starting Month Box, 1mg
Chantix Starting Month PAK, 1mg
Chantix Starting Month PAK, 0.5mg
How Much Does varenicline Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for varenicline
Last Updated: September 29, 2014