Highlights for topiramate
topiramate Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- decreased sweating and/or rise in body temperature
- difficulty breathing, fast or irregular breathing patterns
- difficulty speaking
- difficulty walking or controlling muscle movements
- hearing impairment
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- tingling, pain or numbness in the hands or feet
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusually weak or tired
- worsening of mood, thoughts or actions of suicide or dying
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- altered taste
- back pain, joint or muscle aches and pains
- diarrhea, or constipation
- loss of appetite
- stomach upset, indigestion
topiramate May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- aspirin and aspirin-like medicines
- birth control pills
- certain medicines for depression
- certain medicines for seizures
- certain medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like warfarin, enoxaparin, dalteparin, apixaban, dabigatran, and rivaroxaban
- medicines for pain, sleep, or muscle relaxation
- NSAIDS, medicines for pain and inflammation, like ibuprofen or naproxen
How to Use topiramate
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Do not crush or chew. You may take this medicine with meals. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take it more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 2 years of age for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- bleeding disorders
- cirrhosis of the liver or liver disease
- kidney stones or kidney disease
- low blood counts, like low white cell, platelet, or red cell counts
- lung disease like asthma, obstructive pulmonary disease, emphysema
- metabolic acidosis
- on a ketogenic diet
- schedule for surgery or a procedure
- suicidal thoughts, plans, or attempt; a previous suicide attempt by you or a family member
- an unusual or allergic reaction to topiramate, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If your next dose is to be taken in less than 6 hours, then do not take the missed dose. Take the next dose at your regular time. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. Do not stop taking this medicine suddenly. This increases the risk of seizures if you are using this medicine to control epilepsy. Wear a medical identification bracelet or chain to say you have epilepsy or seizures, and carry a card that lists all your medicines.
This medicine can decrease sweating and increase your body temperature. Watch for signs of deceased sweating or fever, especially in children. Avoid extreme heat, hot baths, and saunas. Be careful about exercising, especially in hot weather. Contact your health care provider right away if you notice a fever or decrease in sweating.
You should drink plenty of fluids while taking this medicine. If you have had kidney stones in the past, this will help to reduce your chances of forming kidney stones.
If you have stomach pain, with nausea or vomiting and yellowing of your eyes or skin, call your doctor immediately.
You may get drowsy, dizzy, or have blurred vision. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. To reduce dizziness, do not sit or stand up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. Alcohol can increase drowsiness and dizziness. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
If you notice blurred vision, eye pain, or other eye problems, seek medical attention at once for an eye exam.
The use of this medicine may increase the chance of suicidal thoughts or actions. Pay special attention to how you are responding while on this medicine. Any worsening of mood, or thoughts of suicide or dying should be reported to your health care professional right away.
This medicine may increase the chance of developing metabolic acidosis. If left untreated, this can cause kidney stones, bone disease, or slowed growth in children. Symptoms include breathing fast, fatigue, loss of appetite, irregular heartbeat, or loss of consciousness. Call your doctor immediately if you experience any of these side effects. Also, tell your doctor about any surgery you plan on having while taking this medicine since this may increase your risk for metabolic acidosis.
Birth control pills may not work properly while you are taking this medicine. Talk to your doctor about using an extra method of birth control.
Women who become pregnant while using this medicine may enroll in the North American Antiepileptic Drug Pregnancy Registry by calling 1-888-233-2334. This registry collects information about the safety of antiepileptic drug use during pregnancy.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F) in a tightly closed container. Protect from moisture. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
topiramate, Mylan Institutional LLC formerly UDL Laboratories Inc, 25mg
topiramate, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc, 25mg
topiramate, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 25mg
topiramate, Camber Pharmaceuticals Inc, 25mg
topiramate, Zydus Pharmaceuticals (USA) Inc, 25mg
topiramate, Glenmark Pharmaceuticals, 50mg
topiramate, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 50mg
topiramate, Sun Pharmaceutical Industries, Inc., 50mg
topiramate, Camber Pharmaceuticals Inc, 50mg
topiramate, Torrent Pharma, Inc, 50mg
topiramate, Zydus Pharmaceuticals (USA) Inc, 50mg
topiramate, Zydus Pharmaceuticals (USA) Inc, 200mg
topiramate, Camber Pharmaceuticals Inc, 200mg
topiramate, Sun Pharmaceutical Industries, Inc., 200mg
topiramate, Torrent Pharma, Inc, 200mg
topiramate, Zydus Pharmaceuticals (USA) Inc, 100mg
topiramate, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 100mg
topiramate, Torrent Pharma, Inc, 100mg
topiramate, Glenmark Pharmaceuticals, 100mg
How Much Does topiramate Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for topiramate
Last Updated: December 22, 2014