Highlights for tipranavir
tipranavir Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- dark urine
- difficulty speaking or swallowing
- changes in vision
- general ill feeling or flu-like symptoms
- light-colored stools
- loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- right upper belly pain
- severe headache
- unusual bleeding
- unusually weak or tired
- yellowing of the eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- increased hunger or thirst
- increased urination
- stomach pain
- weight gain around waist, back, or thinning of face, arms, legs
tipranavir May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- medicines for cholesterol like cerivastatin, lovastatin, simvastatin
- medicines for headaches like dihydroergotamine, ergonovine, ergotamine, methylergonovine
- medicines for irregular heart beat like amiodarone, bepridil, flecainide, propafenone, quinidine
- red yeast rice
- St. John's wort
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- female hormones, like estrogens or progestins and birth control pills, patches, rings, or injections
- medicines for blood pressure like diltiazem, felodipine, verapamil
- medicines for cholesterol like atorvastatin
- medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
- medicines for diabetes
- medicines for erectile dysfunction
- medicines for fungal infections like fluconazole, ketoconazole, itraconazole, voriconazole
- other medicines for HIV
How to Use tipranavir
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take this medicine with food. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. For your anti-HIV therapy to work as well as possible, take each dose exactly as prescribed. Do not skip doses or stop your medicine even if you feel better. Skipping doses may make the HIV virus resistant to this medicine and other medicines. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- if you are taking any female hormones, like estrogens or progestins and birth control pills, patches, rings, or injections
- liver disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to tipranavir, sulfa medicines, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular check ups. Discuss any new symptoms with your doctor. You will need to have important blood work done while on this medicine.
HIV is spread to others through sexual or blood contact. Talk to your doctor about how to stop the spread of HIV.
Birth control pills may not work properly while you are taking this medicine. Talk to your doctor about using an extra method of birth control. Women who can still have children must use a reliable form of barrier contraception, like a condom or diaphragm.
This medicine may affect blood sugar levels. If you have diabetes, check with your doctor or health care professional before you change your diet or the dose of your diabetic medicine.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store this medicine in the refrigerator between 2 and 8 degrees C (36 and 46 degrees F). If needed, you may store this medicine at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). This medicine must be used within 60 days of opening the bottle. Throw away any unused medicine after 60 days and after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
How Much Does tipranavir Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for tipranavir
Last Updated: June 19, 2014