Highlights for tetrabenazine
tetrabenazine Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- difficulty swallowing
- dizziness or fainting
- fast or irregular heartbeat
- low blood pressure
- restless with urgent need to move
- stiff muscles, fever, and sweating
- suicidal thoughts or other mood changes
- uncontrollable head, mouth, neck, arm, or leg movements
- unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- change in sex drive or performance
- stomach upset
- trouble sleeping
tetrabenazine May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- medicines for psychotic disturbances
- medicines for sleep
How to Use tetrabenazine
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take it more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacy with each new prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- brain tumor
- breast cancer
- difficulty swallowing
- head injury
- heart disease
- if you frequently drink alcohol containing drinks
- kidney or liver disease
- low blood pressure or dizziness when standing up
- Parkinson's disease
- suicidal thoughts, plans, or attempt by you or a family member
- taken an MAOI like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, or Parnate in last 14 days
- an unusual or allergic reaction to tetrabenazine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. It may be several weeks before you see the full effects of this medicine.
Patients and their families should watch out for worsening depression or thoughts of suicide. If this happens, especially at the beginning treatment or after a change in dose, call your health care professional.
You may get dizzy or drowsy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol can increase dizziness and drowsiness. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
How Much Does tetrabenazine Cost?
Compare prices and save money on your next refill!
Lowest price for tetrabenazine
Last Updated: September 14, 2009