Highlights for terbinafine
terbinafine Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- changes in vision
- dark urine
- fever or infection
- general ill feeling or flu-like symptoms
- light-colored stools
- loss of appetite, nausea
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- right upper belly pain
- unusually weak or tired
- yellowing of the eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- changes in taste
- hair loss
- muscle or joint pain
- stomach gas
- stomach upset
terbinafine May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
- medicines for fungal infections like fluconazole and ketoconazole
- medicines for irregular heartbeat like amiodarone, flecainide and propafenone
How to Use terbinafine
Take this medicine by mouth with a full glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. You can take this medicine with food or on an empty stomach. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not skip doses or stop your medicine early even if you feel better. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice. Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- drink alcoholic beverages
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to terbinafine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care provider regularly. Tell your doctor right away if you have nausea or vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain on your right upper side, yellow skin, dark urine, light stools, or are over tired. Some fungal infections need many weeks or months of treatment to cure. If you are taking this medicine for a long time, you will need to have important blood work done.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature below 25 degrees C (77 degrees F). Protect from light. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
Last Updated: January 27, 2009