Highlights for temazepam
temazepam Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- feeling faint or lightheaded
- memory loss
- mood changes, excitability or aggressive behavior
- muscle cramps
- problems with balance, speaking, walking
- suicidal thoughts
- unusually weak or tired
- unusual activities while asleep like driving, eating, making phone calls
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- dizziness, drowsiness
- increased dreaming
- nausea, vomiting
temazepam May Interact with Other Medications
- barbiturate medicines for inducing sleep or treating seizures, like phenobarbital
- herbal or dietary supplements, like kava kava, melatonin, or valerian
- medicines for anxiety or sleeping problems, like alprazolam, diazepam, lorazepam or triazolam
- medicines for depression, mental problems or psychiatric disturbances
- prescription pain medicines
How to Use temazepam
Take this medicine by mouth. It is only for use at bedtime. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Swallow the tablets or capsules with a drink of water. If it upsets your stomach, take it with food or milk. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on the advice of your doctor or health care professional.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- an alcohol or drug abuse problem
- bipolar disorder, depression, psychosis or other mental health condition
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- lung or breathing disease
- myasthenia gravis
- Parkinson's disease
- seizures or a history of seizures
- suicidal thoughts
- an unusual or allergic reaction to temazepam, other benzodiazepines, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. This medicine is for short-term periods of use. If sleep medicine is taken every night for a long time it may no longer help you to sleep. Your body can become dependent on this medicine, ask your doctor or health care professional if you still need to take it. However, if you have been taking this medicine regularly for some time, do not suddenly stop taking it. You must gradually reduce the dose or you may get severe side effects. Ask your doctor or health care professional for advice.
Do not take this medicine unless you are able to get a full night's sleep before you must be active again. You may not be able to remember things that you do in the hours after you take this medicine. Some people have reported driving, making phone calls, or preparing and eating food while asleep after taking sleep medicine. Take this medicine right before going to sleep. Tell your doctor if you are have any problems with your memory.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol may interfere with the effect of this medicine. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
Do not treat yourself for coughs, colds or allergies without asking your doctor or health care professional for advice.
Keep out of the reach of children. This medicine can be abused. Keep your medicine in a safe place to protect it from theft. Do not share this medicine with anyone. Selling or giving away this medicine is dangerous and against the law.
Store at room temperature below 30 degrees C (86 degrees F). Protect from light. Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
How Much Does temazepam Cost?
Compare prices and save money on your next refill!
Lowest price for temazepam
Last Updated: September 3, 2009