Highlights for telithromycin
telithromycin Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- changes in vision
- dark urine
- general ill feeling or flu-like symptoms
- irregular heartbeat
- light-colored stools
- lightheaded, faint, lose consciousness
- loss of appetite, nausea
- right upper belly pain
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- unusually weak or tired
- white patches in the mouth or throat
- yellowing of eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- dry mouth
- stomach upset
- vaginal irritation
telithromycin May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- certain medicines for cholesterol like atorvastatin, cerivastatin, lovastatin, simvastatin
- certain medicines for fungal infections like fluconazole, itraconazole, ketoconazole, posaconazole, voriconazole
- certain medicines for irregular heart rhythm like amiodarone, disopyramide, dofetilide, dronedarone, flecainide, procainamide, propafenone, quinidine
- ergot alkaloids like ergotamine, dihydroergotamine
- red yeast rice
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- certain medicines for anxiety or sleep
- certain medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like warfarin
- other medicines that prolong the QT interval (cause an abnormal heart rhythm)
How to Use telithromycin
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. You may take with or without food. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not skip doses or stop your medicine early even if you feel better. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- irregular heart beat
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- myasthenia gravis
- an unusual or allergic reaction to telithromycin, macrolide antibiotics, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Tell your doctor or health care professional if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
This medicine may cause you to faint or to have vision problems. Limit activities like driving, using heavy machinery, and other hazardous tasks. If you have vision problems or faint while taking this medicine avoid these activities.
Do not treat diarrhea with over the counter products. Contact your doctor if you have diarrhea that lasts more than 2 days or if it is severe and watery.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
Ketek Pak, 400mg
How Much Does telithromycin Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for telithromycin
Last Updated: August 8, 2014