Highlights for tacrolimus
tacrolimus Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- burning or tingling in the hands or feet
- changes in vision
- chest pain
- difficulty breathing, wheezing
- fast or irregular heartbeat
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- fever, chills or any other sign of infection
- frequent urination
- increased thirst or hunger
- loss of appetite
- pain or difficulty passing urine
- severe headache
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- swelling of the feet or legs, unusual or sudden weight gain
- unusually weak or tired
tacrolimus May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- certain medicines for fungal infections like fluconazole, itraconazole, ketoconazole, posaconazole, voriconazole
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- alcohol and medicines that contain alcohol
- antiviral medicines for HIV or AIDS
- certain antibiotics like aminoglycosides, chloramphenicol, clarithromycin, erythromycin, rifabutin, rifampin, troleandomycin
- certain calcium channel blockers like diltiazem, nicardipine, nifedipine, verapamil
- certain medicines for fungal infections like amphotericin B, caspofungin, clotrimazole
- certain medicines for seizures like carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin
- certain medicines for stomach problems like antacids, cimetidine, famotidine, lansoprazole, metoclopramide, omeprazole
- certain supplements that contain schisandra sphenanthera extracts
- ethinyl estradiol
- grapefruit juice
- other medicines that prolong the QT interval (cause an abnormal heart rhythm)
- St. John's wort
- steroid medicines like prednisone, cortisone, methylprednisone
How to Use tacrolimus
Take this medicine by mouth with a full glass of water. If you take the medicine with food, always take it with food. Do not take the medicine with grapefruit juice. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take your medicine at regular intervals. You must take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- heart disease or heart failure
- high blood pressure
- immune system problems
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to tacrolimus, lactose, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can, and call your doctor or health care professional. Call your doctor or health care professional if you vomit after a dose.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. You will need frequent blood checks.
If you get a cold or other infection while receiving this medicine, call your doctor or health care professional. Do not treat yourself. The medicine may decrease your body's ability to fight infections.
Talk to your doctor about your risk of cancer. You may be more at risk for certain types of cancers if you take this medicine.
This medicine can make you more sensitive to the sun. Keep out of the sun. If you cannot avoid being in the sun, wear protective clothing and use sunscreen. Do not use sun lamps or tanning beds/booths.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
ASTAGRAF XL, 5mg
ASTAGRAF XL, 1mg
ASTAGRAF XL, 0.5mg
tacrolimus, Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp, 1mg
tacrolimus, Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp, 0.5mg
tacrolimus, Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp, 5mg
tacrolimus, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, Inc., 1mg
tacrolimus, Sandoz Inc, 1mg
tacrolimus, Accord Healthcare, Inc., 1mg
tacrolimus, Ingenus Pharmaceuticals, LLC, 1mg
tacrolimus, Major Pharmaceuticals Inc, 1mg
tacrolimus, American Health Packaging, 0.5mg
tacrolimus, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, Inc., 0.5mg
tacrolimus, American Health Packaging, 5mg
tacrolimus, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, Inc., 5mg
tacrolimus, Sandoz Inc, 0.5mg
How Much Does tacrolimus Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for tacrolimus
Last Updated: May 27, 2015