Highlights for sumatriptan
sumatriptan Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- bloody or watery diarrhea
- hallucination, loss of contact with reality
- pain, tingling, numbness in the face, hands, or feet
- signs and symptoms of a blood clot such as breathing problems; changes in vision; chest pain; severe, sudden headache; pain, swelling, warmth in the leg; trouble speaking; sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm, or leg
- signs and symptoms of a dangerous change in heartbeat or heart rhythm like chest pain; dizziness; fast or irregular heartbeat; palpitations, feeling faint or lightheaded; falls; breathing problems
- signs and symptoms of a stroke like changes in vision; confusion; trouble speaking or understanding; severe headaches; sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm, or leg; trouble walking; dizziness; loss of balance or coordination
- stomach pain
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report these to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- changes in taste
- facial flushing
- muscle cramps
- muscle pain
- nausea, vomiting
- weak or tired
sumatriptan May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medicines:
- ergot alkaloids like dihydroergotamine, ergonovine, ergotamine, methylergonovine
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
- other medicines for migraine headache like almotriptan, eletriptan, frovatriptan, naratriptan, rizatriptan, zolmitriptan
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- certain medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
How to Use sumatriptan
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. This medicine is taken at the first symptoms of a migraine. It is not for everyday use. If your migraine headache returns after one dose, you can take another dose as directed. You must leave at least 2 hours between doses, and do not take more than 100 mg as a single dose. Do not take more than 200 mg total in any 24 hour period. If there is no improvement at all after the first dose, do not take a second dose without talking to your doctor or health care professional. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- circulation problems in fingers and toes
- heart disease
- high blood pressure
- high cholesterol
- history of irregular heartbeat
- history of stroke
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- postmenopausal or surgical removal of uterus and ovaries
- smoke tobacco
- stomach or intestine problems
- an unusual or allergic reaction to sumatriptan, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
This does not apply; this medicine is not for regular use.
Only take this medicine for a migraine headache. Take it if you get warning symptoms or at the start of a migraine attack. It is not for regular use to prevent migraine attacks.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. To reduce dizzy or fainting spells, do not sit or stand up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. Alcohol can increase drowsiness, dizziness and flushing. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
Smoking cigarettes may increase the risk of heart-related side effects from using this medicine.
If you take migraine medicines for 10 or more days a month, your migraines may get worse. Keep a diary of headache days and medicine use. Contact your healthcare professional if your migraine attacks occur more frequently.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 2 and 30 degrees C (36 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
sumatriptan, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, Inc., 25mg
sumatriptan, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, Inc., 50mg
sumatriptan, Northstar Rx LLC, 100mg
sumatriptan, Sun Pharmaceutical Industries, Inc., 100mg
sumatriptan, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, Inc., 100mg
How Much Does sumatriptan Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for sumatriptan
Last Updated: June 23, 2016