Highlights for sotalol
sotalol Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- chest pain
- cold, tingling, or numb hands or feet
- difficulty breathing, wheezing
- irregular heartbeat
- muscle aches and pains
- skin rash
- slow heart rate
- swollen legs or ankles
- tremor, shakes
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- change in sex drive or performance
- mental depression
- weakness or tiredness
sotalol May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- arsenic trioxide
- certain antibiotics like gatifloxacin, grepafloxacin, levofloxacin, moxifloxacin, sparfloxacin, telithromycin
- medicines for malaria like chloroquine and halofantrine
- medicines to control heart rhythm
- phenothiazines like prochlorperazine, perphenazine, thioridazine, and others
- tricyclic antidepressants like amitriptyline, imipramine, nortriptyline, and others
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- certain antibiotics such as clarithromycin and erythromycin
- medicines for angina or high blood pressure
- medicines for colds and breathing difficulties
- medicines for diabetes
- other beta-blockers like atenolol, metoprolol, propranolol and others
How to Use sotalol
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking this medicine suddenly. This could lead to serious heart-related effects.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed. While this medicine may be used in children for selected conditions precautions do apply.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- heart or vessel disease like slow heart rate, worsening heart failure, heart block, sick sinus syndrome or Raynaud's disease
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- history of low levels of potassium or magnesium
- lung or breathing disease, like asthma or emphysema
- recent heart attack
- thyroid disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to sotalol, other beta-blockers, medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. Check your heart rate and blood pressure regularly while you are taking this medicine. Ask your doctor or health care professional what your heart rate and blood pressure should be, and when you should contact him or her. Your doctor or health care professional also may schedule regular blood tests and electrocardiograms to check your progress.
Because your condition and the use of this medicine carry some risk, it is a good idea to carry an identification card, necklace or bracelet with details of your condition, medications, and doctor or health care professional.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this drug affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol can make you more drowsy and dizzy. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
Do not treat yourself for coughs, colds, or pain while you are taking this medicine without asking your doctor or health care professional for advice. Some ingredients may increase your blood pressure.
If you are going to have surgery, tell your doctor or health care professional that you are taking this medicine.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
BETAPACE AF, 80mg
BETAPACE AF, 120mg
BETAPACE AF, 160mg
sotalol, Qualitest Pharmaceuticals Inc, 120mg
sotalol, Sandoz Inc. a Novartis Company, 160mg
sotalol, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 160mg
sotalol, Par Pharmaceutical Inc, 160mg
sotalol, Qualitest Pharmaceuticals Inc, 160mg
sotalol, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 240mg
sotalol, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 120mg
sotalol, Sandoz Inc. a Novartis Company, 120mg
sotalol, Qualitest Pharmaceuticals Inc, 80mg
sotalol, Par Pharmaceutical Inc, 80mg
sotalol, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 80mg
sotalol, Sandoz Inc. a Novartis Company, 80mg
sotalol, Apotex Corp, 80mg
sotalol, Par Pharmaceutical Inc, 120mg
sotalol, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc, 120mg
sotalol, Apotex Corp, 80mg
sotalol, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc, 80mg
sotalol, Apotex Corp, 160mg
sotalol, Apotex Corp, 120mg
How Much Does sotalol Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for sotalol
Last Updated: August 19, 2014