Highlights for rizatriptan
rizatriptan Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- fast, slow, or irregular heart beat
- increased or decreased blood pressure
- severe stomach pain and cramping, bloody diarrhea
- signs and symptoms of a blood clot such as breathing problems; changes in vision; chest pain; severe, sudden headache; pain, swelling, warmth in the leg; trouble speaking; sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg
- tingling, pain, or numbness in the face, hands, or feet
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- dry mouth
- feeling warm, flushing, or redness of the face
- muscle cramps, pain
- nausea, vomiting
- unusually weak or tired
rizatriptan May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medicines:
- amphetamine, dextroamphetamine or cocaine
- dihydroergotamine, ergotamine, ergoloid mesylates, methysergide, or ergot-type medication - do not take within 24 hours of taking rizatriptan
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate - do not take rizatriptan within 2 weeks of stopping MAOI therapy.
- other migraine medicines like almotriptan, eletriptan, naratriptan, sumatriptan, zolmitriptan - do not take within 24 hours of taking rizatriptan
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- medicines for mental depression, anxiety or mood problems
How to Use rizatriptan
This medicine is taken by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. This medicine is taken at the first symptoms of a migraine. It is not for everyday use. If your migraine headache returns after one dose, you can take another dose as directed. You must leave at least 2 hours between doses, and do not take more than 30 mg total in 24 hours. If there is no improvement at all after the first dose, do not take a second dose without talking to your doctor or health care professional. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 6 years for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- bowel disease or colitis
- family history of heart disease
- fast or irregular heart beat
- heart or blood vessel disease, angina (chest pain), or previous heart attack
- high blood pressure
- high cholesterol
- history of stroke, transient ischemic attacks (TIAs or mini-strokes), or intracranial bleeding
- kidney or liver disease
- poor circulation
- postmenopausal or surgical removal of uterus and ovaries
- Raynaud's disease
- seizure disorder
- an unusual or allergic reaction to rizatriptan, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
This does not apply; this medicine is not for regular use.
Only take this medicine for a migraine headache. Take it if you get warning symptoms or at the start of a migraine attack. It is not for regular use to prevent migraine attacks.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. To reduce dizzy or fainting spells, do not sit or stand up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. Alcohol can increase drowsiness, dizziness and flushing. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
Smoking cigarettes may increase the risk of heart-related side effects from using this medicine.
If you take migraine medicines for 10 or more days a month, your migraines may get worse. Keep a diary of headache days and medicine use. Contact your healthcare professional if your migraine attacks occur more frequently.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
rizatriptan, Camber Pharmaceuticals Inc, 10mg
rizatriptan, Cipla USA, Inc, 10mg
rizatriptan, Breckenridge Inc, 5mg
rizatriptan, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc., 10mg
rizatriptan, Camber Pharmaceuticals Inc, 5mg
rizatriptan, Cipla USA, Inc, 5mg
rizatriptan, Par Pharmaceuticals, an Endo Company, 5mg
rizatriptan, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, 5mg
rizatriptan, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, 10mg
rizatriptan, Breckenridge Inc, 10mg
rizatriptan, Par Pharmaceuticals, an Endo Company, 10mg
How Much Does rizatriptan Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for rizatriptan
Last Updated: August 19, 2014