Highlights for rivastigmine
rivastigmine Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- changes in vision or balance
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- increase in frequency of passing urine, or incontinence
- nervousness, agitation, or increased confusion
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- severe diarrhea
- slow heartbeat, or palpitations
- stomach pain
- uncontrollable movements
- weight loss
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- indigestion or heartburn
- loss of appetite
- mild diarrhea, especially when starting treatment
rivastigmine May Interact with Other Medications
- antihistamines for allergy, cough and cold
- certain medicines for bladder problems like oxybutynin, tolterodine
- certain medicines for Parkinson's disease like benztropine, trihexyphenidyl
- certain medicines for stomach problems like dicyclomine, hyoscyamine
- certain medicines for travel sickness like scopolamine
- medicines that relax your muscles for surgery
- other medicines for Alzheimer's disease
How to Use rivastigmine
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take this medicine with food. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on the advice of your doctor or health care professional.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- difficulty passing urine
- heart disease, or irregular or slow heartbeat
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- lung or breathing disease, like asthma
- stomach or intestine disease, ulcers, or stomach bleeding
- an unusual or allergic reaction to rivastigmine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. Check with your doctor or health care professional if your symptoms do not get better or if they get worse.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this drug affects you.
Keep out of reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
rivastigmine, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, Inc., 4.5mg
rivastigmine, Sandoz Inc. a Novartis Company, 4.5mg
rivastigmine, Sun Pharmaceutical Industries, Inc., 4.5mg
rivastigmine, Actavis US, 3mg
rivastigmine, Sun Pharmaceutical Industries, Inc., 3mg
rivastigmine, Sandoz Inc. a Novartis Company, 6mg
rivastigmine, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, Inc., 6mg
rivastigmine, Sandoz Inc. a Novartis Company, 3mg
rivastigmine, McKesson Packaging, 3mg
rivastigmine, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, Inc., 1.5mg
rivastigmine, Breckenridge Inc, 3mg
How Much Does rivastigmine Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for rivastigmine
Last Updated: August 17, 2009