Highlights for rivaroxaban
rivaroxaban Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- back pain
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- signs and symptoms of bleeding such as bloody or black, tarry stools; red or dark-brown urine; spitting up blood or brown material that looks like coffee grounds; red spots on the skin; unusual bruising or bleeding from the eye, gums, or nose
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (Report these to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome.):
- muscle pain
rivaroxaban May Interact with Other Medications
- aspirin and aspirin-like medicines
- certain antibiotics like erythromycin, azithromycin, and clarithromycin
- certain medicines for fungal infections like ketoconazole and itraconazole
- certain medicines for irregular heart beat like amiodarone, quinidine, dronedarone
- certain medicines for seizures like carbamazepine, phenytoin
- certain medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like warfarin, enoxaparin, and dalteparin
- lopinavir; ritonavir
- NSAIDS, medicines for pain and inflammation, like ibuprofen or naproxen
- St. John's wort
How to Use rivaroxaban
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take it more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice. Stopping this medicine may increase your risk of a blood clot. Be sure to refill your prescription before you run out of medicine.
If you are taking this medicine after hip or knee replacement surgery, take it with or without food. If you are taking this medicine for atrial fibrillation, take it with your evening meal. If you are taking this medicine to treat blood clots, take it with food at the same time each day. If you are unable to swallow your tablet, you may crush the tablet and mix it in applesauce. Then, immediately eat the applesauce. You should eat more food right after you eat the applesauce containing the crushed tablet.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- bleeding disorders
- bleeding in the brain
- blood in your stools (black or tarry stools) or if you have blood in your vomit
- history of stomach bleeding
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- low blood counts, like low white cell, platelet, or red cell counts
- recent or planned spinal or epidural procedure
- take medicines that treat or prevent blood clots
- an unusual or allergic reaction to rivaroxaban, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you take your medicine once a day and miss a dose, take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If you take your medicine twice a day and miss a dose, take the missed dose immediately. In this instance, 2 tablets may be taken at the same time. The next day you should take 1 tablet twice a day as directed.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. Your condition will be monitored carefully while you are receiving this medicine.
Notify your doctor or health care professional and seek emergency treatment if you develop breathing problems; changes in vision; chest pain; severe, sudden headache; pain, swelling, warmth in the leg; trouble speaking; sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm, or leg. These can be signs that your condition has gotten worse.
If you are going to have surgery, tell your doctor or health care professional that you are taking this medicine.
Tell your health care professional that you use this medicine before you have a spinal or epidural procedure. Sometimes people who take this medicine have bleeding problems around the spine when they have a spinal or epidural procedure. This bleeding is very rare. If you have a spinal or epidural procedure while on this medicine, call your health care professional immediately if you have back pain, numbness or tingling (especially in your legs and feet), muscle weakness, paralysis, or loss of bladder or bowel control.
Avoid sports and activities that might cause injury while you are using this medicine. Severe falls or injuries can cause unseen bleeding. Be careful when using sharp tools or knives. Consider using an electric razor. Take special care brushing or flossing your teeth. Report any injuries, bruising, or red spots on the skin to your doctor or health care professional.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
Xarelto Starter Pack, 15mg
Xarelto Starter Pack, 20mg
How Much Does rivaroxaban Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for rivaroxaban
Last Updated: December 16, 2015