Highlights for ritonavir
ritonavir Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (Report these to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome.):
- decreased appetite
- increased hunger or thirst
- increased urination
- tingling or numbness in the hands or feet or around the mouth
- unusually weak or tired
- weight gain around waist, back, or thinning of face, arms, legs
ritonavir May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- certain medicines for fungal infections like fluconazole, itraconazole, ketoconazole, posaconazole, voriconazole
- certain medicines for irregular heart beat like amiodarone, bepridil, dofetilide, dronedarone, encainide, flecainide, propafenone, quinidine
- ergot alkaloids like dihydroergotamine, ergonovine, ergotamine, methylergonovine
- red yeast rice
- St. John's wort
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- birth control pills, patches, rings, or injections
- certain medicines for blood pressure, heart disease, irregular heart beat
- certain medicines for cholesterol like atorvastatin, cerivastatin
- certain medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
- certain medicines for erectile dysfunction
- certain medicines for seizures
- certain medicines for sleep
- certain medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like warfarin
- other antivirals for HIV or AIDS
- other medicines that prolong the QT interval (cause an abnormal heart rhythm)
- steroid medicines like budesonide, dexamethasone, fluticasone, prednisone
How to Use ritonavir
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take this medicine with food. Swallow whole. Do not chew, break, or crush. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. For your anti-HIV therapy to work as well as possible, take each dose exactly as prescribed. Do not skip doses or stop your medicine even if you feel better. Skipping doses may make the HIV virus resistant to this medicine and other medicines. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- high cholesterol or triglycerides
- liver disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to ritonavir, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular check ups. Discuss any new symptoms with your doctor. You will need to have important blood work done while on this medicine.
HIV is spread to others through sexual or blood contact. Talk to your doctor about how to stop the spread of HIV.
Birth control pills may not work properly while you are taking this medicine. Talk to your doctor about using an extra method of birth control. Women who can still have children must use a reliable form of barrier contraception, like a condom or diaphragm.
This medicine may affect blood sugar levels. If you have diabetes, check with your doctor or health care professional before you change your diet or the dose of your diabetic medicine.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store this medicine at room temperature between 20 and 25 degrees C (68 and 77 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
How Much Does ritonavir Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for ritonavir
Last Updated: July 14, 2014