Highlights for risperidone
risperidone Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- aching muscles and joints
- fainting spells
- fast or irregular heartbeat
- fever or chills, sore throat
- increased hunger or thirst
- increased urination
- loss of balance, difficulty walking or falls
- stiffness, spasms, trembling
- uncontrollable head, mouth, neck, arm, or leg movements
- unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- decreased sexual ability
- difficulty sleeping
- drowsiness or dizziness
- increase or decrease in saliva
- nausea, vomiting
- weight gain
risperidone May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- certain medicines for fungal infections like fluconazole, itraconazole, ketoconazole, posaconazole, voriconazole
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- arsenic trioxide
- certain antibiotics like clarithromycin, gatifloxacin, levofloxacin, moxifloxacin, pentamidine, rifampin
- certain medicines for blood pressure
- certain medicines for cancer
- certain medicines for irregular heart beat
- certain medications for Parkinson's disease like levodopa
- certain medicines for seizures like carbamazepine
- certain medicines for sleep or sedation
- narcotic medicines for pain
- other medicines for mental anxiety, depression, or psychotic disturbances
- other medicines that prolong the QT interval (cause an abnormal heart rhythm)
How to Use risperidone
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. You can take it with or without food. If it upsets your stomach, take it with food. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take it more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 5 years of age for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- blood disorder or disease
- diabetes or a family history of diabetes
- difficulty swallowing
- heart disease or previous heart attack
- history of brain tumor or head injury
- history of breast cancer
- irregular heartbeat or low blood pressure
- kidney or liver disease
- Parkinson's disease
- seizures (convulsions)
- an unusual or allergic reaction to risperidone, paliperidone, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. It may be several weeks before you see the full effects. Do not suddenly stop taking this medicine. You may need to gradually reduce the dose. Only stop taking this medicine on the advice of your doctor or health care professional.
You may get dizzy or drowsy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol can increase dizziness and drowsiness. Avoid alcoholic drinks. You can get a hangover effect the morning after a bedtime dose.
Do not treat yourself for colds, diarrhea or allergies. Ask your doctor or health care professional for advice, some nonprescription medicines may increase possible side effects.
This medicine can reduce the response of your body to heat or cold. Dress warm in cold weather and stay hydrated in hot weather. If possible, avoid extreme temperatures like saunas, hot tubs, very hot or cold showers, or activities that can cause dehydration such as vigorous exercise.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 25 degrees C (59 and 77 degrees F). Protect from light. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
risperidone, Torrent Pharma, Inc, 0.5mg
risperidone, Zydus Pharmaceuticals (USA) Inc, 0.5mg
risperidone, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc, 0.5mg
risperidone, Patriot Pharmaceuticals, 1mg
risperidone, Apotex Corp, 1mg
risperidone, Torrent Pharma, Inc, 1mg
risperidone, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 1mg
risperidone, Qualitest Pharmaceuticals Inc, 1mg
risperidone, Zydus Pharmaceuticals (USA) Inc, 1mg
risperidone, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc, 1mg
risperidone, Patriot Pharmaceuticals, 2mg
risperidone, Torrent Pharma, Inc, 2mg
risperidone, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 2mg
risperidone, Qualitest Pharmaceuticals Inc, 2mg
risperidone, Zydus Pharmaceuticals (USA) Inc, 2mg
risperidone, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc, 2mg
risperidone, Apotex Corp, 3mg
risperidone, Torrent Pharma, Inc, 3mg
risperidone, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 3mg
risperidone, Patriot Pharmaceuticals, 3mg
risperidone, Qualitest Pharmaceuticals Inc, 3mg
risperidone, Torrent Pharma, Inc, 4mg
risperidone, Patriot Pharmaceuticals, 4mg
risperidone, Mylan Institutional LLC formerly UDL Laboratories Inc, 4mg
risperidone, Qualitest Pharmaceuticals Inc, 4mg
risperidone, Zydus Pharmaceuticals (USA) Inc, 4mg
risperidone, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc, 4mg
risperidone, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 0.5mg
risperidone, Apotex Corp, 0.5mg
risperidone, Patriot Pharmaceuticals, 0.5mg
risperidone, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc, 0.25mg
risperidone, Zydus Pharmaceuticals (USA) Inc, 0.25mg
risperidone, Apotex Corp, 0.25mg
risperidone, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 0.25mg
How Much Does risperidone Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for risperidone
Last Updated: March 4, 2016