Highlights for rifampin
rifampin Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- fever or chills, mouth sores, or sore throat
- pinpoint red spots on the skin
- stomach pain
- trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
- unusual bleeding, bruising
- unusually weak or tired
- yellowing of the eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- loss of appetite
- nausea, vomiting
rifampin May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- antibiotics like ciprofloxacin, clarithromycin, isoniazid
- antifungal medicines like fluconazole, itraconazole, ketoconazole
- female hormones, including contraceptive or birth control pills
- medicines for blood pressure, other heart problems
- medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
- medicines for diabetes
- medicines for pain
- medicnes for seizures like carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin
- medicines for sleep
- medicines for the thyroid
- medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like warfarin
- steroid medicines like prednisone or cortisone
- vitamin D
How to Use rifampin
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take this medicine on an empty stomach, either 1 hour before or 2 hours after food. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. For your therapy to work as well as possible, take each dose exactly as prescribed. Do not skip doses or stop your medicine even if you feel better. Skipping doses may make the TB resistant to this medicine and other medicines. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.
Contact your pediatrician or health care professional regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- liver disease, including hepatitis
- an unusual or allergic reaction to rifampin, rifabutin, other medicines, foods, dyes or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. This medicine can cause serious liver problems. Make sure you understand the risks for liver problems and how to identify the symptoms. If you have any questions, talk with your doctor or other health care provider.
Avoid alcoholic drinks while you are taking this medicine. Drinking alcohol during treatment with this medicine increases the risk of serious liver problems.
Birth control pills may not work properly while you are taking this medicine. Talk to your doctor about using an extra method of birth control.
Antacids may reduce the absorption of this medicine. Doses of this medicine should be given at least 1 hour before taking antacids.
This medicine can color your urine, feces (stool), perspiration (sweat), tears, sputum, skin or saliva reddish-orange to reddish-brown. This color can last for as long as you take this medicine and is not a cause for alarm. This color in tears may permanently stain soft contact lenses. It is better not to wear soft contact lenses while you are taking this medicine.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature below 30 degrees C (86 degrees F). Protect from light and moisture. Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
rifampin, Lupin Pharmaceuticals, 300mg
rifampin, Lannett Co Inc, 150mg
rifampin, McKesson Packaging Inc, 300mg
rifampin, PD-Rx Pharmaceuticals, Inc., 300mg
rifampin, Actavis Inc. formerly Amide Pharmaceutical Inc, 300mg
rifampin, Actavis Inc. Towata LLC, 300mg
rifampin, Lannett Co Inc, 300mg
rifampin, Major Pharmaceuticals Inc, 300mg
rifampin, Versapharm Incorporated, 300mg
rifampin, Sandoz Inc. a Novartis Company, 300mg
rifampin, Sandoz Inc. a Novartis Company, 300mg
rifampin, Sandoz Inc. a Novartis Company, 150mg
rifampin, Versapharm Incorporated, 150mg
rifampin, Mylan Institutional LLC formerly UDL Laboratories Inc, 300mg
rifampin, American Health Packaging, 300mg
How Much Does rifampin Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for rifampin
Last Updated: July 28, 2009