Highlights for ranolazine
ranolazine Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- changes in vision
- fast, irregular or pounding heartbeat
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- low or high blood pressure
- numbness or tingling feelings
- ringing in the ears
- tremor or shakiness
- slow heartbeat (fewer than 50 beats per minute)
- swelling of the legs or feet
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your prescriber or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- dry mouth
- nausea or vomiting
- stomach upset
ranolazine May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- antivirals for HIV or AIDS
- certain antibiotics like chloramphenicol, clarithromycin, dalfopristin; quinupristin, isoniazid, rifabutin, rifampin, rifapentine
- certain medicines used for cancer like imatinib, nilotinib
- certain medicines for fungal infections like fluconazole, itraconazole, ketoconazole, posaconazole, voriconazole
- certain medicines for irregular heart beat like dofetilide, dronedarone
- certain medicines for seizures like carbamazepine, fosphenytoin, oxcarbazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin
- grapefruit or grapefruit juice
- lumacaftor; ivacaftor
- St John's wort
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- certain medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances like bupropion, citalopram, fluoxetine, fluphenazine, paroxetine, perphenazine, risperidone, sertraline, trifluoperazine
- certain medicines for cholesterol like atorvastatin, lovastatin, simvastatin
- certain medicines for stomach problems like octreotide, palonosetron, prochlorperazine
- ergot alkaloids like dihydroergotamine, ergonovine, ergotamine, methylergonovine
- other medicines that prolong the QT interval (cause an abnormal heart rhythm)
How to Use ranolazine
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Do not cut, crush, or chew this medicine. Take with or without food. Do not take this medication with grapefruit juice. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often then directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- heart disease
- irregular heartbeat
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- low levels of potassium or magnesium in the blood
- an unusual or allergic reaction to ranolazine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor for regular check ups. Tell your doctor or healthcare professional if your symptoms do not start to get better or if they get worse. This medicine will not relieve an acute attack of angina or chest pain.
This medicine can change your heart rhythm. Your health care provider may check your heart rhythm by ordering an electrocardiogram (ECG) while you are taking this medicine.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol may interfere with the effect of this medicine. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
If you are scheduled for any medical or dental procedure, tell your healthcare provider that you are taking this medicine. This medicine can interact with other medicines used during surgery.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
Ranexa ER, 500mg
Ranexa ER, 1000mg
Ranexa ER, 1000mg
Ranexa ER, 500mg
How Much Does ranolazine Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for ranolazine
Last Updated: February 22, 2016