Highlights for ramipril
ramipril Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- abdominal pain with or without nausea or vomiting
- allergic reactions like skin rash or hives, swelling of the hands, feet, face, lips, throat, or tongue
- dark urine
- difficulty breathing
- dizzy, lightheaded or fainting spell
- fever or sore throat
- irregular heart beat, chest pain
- numbness or tingling in fingers or toes
- pain or difficulty passing urine
- unusually weak
- yellowing of the eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- change in sex drive or performance
- change in taste
ramipril May Interact with Other Medications
- NSAIDs, medicines for pain and inflammation, like ibuprofen or naproxen
- over-the-counter herbal supplements like hawthorn
- potassium supplements
- salt substitutes
How to Use ramipril
Take this medicine by mouth with a drink of water. Follow the directions on your prescription label. You may take this medicine with or without food. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take more medicine than directed. Do not stop taking your medicine unless your doctor tells you to.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- heart or blood vessel disease
- immune system disease like lupus or scleroderma
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- low blood pressure
- previous swelling of the tongue, face, or lips with difficulty breathing, difficulty swallowing, hoarseness, or tightening of the throat
- an unusual or allergic reaction to lisinopril, other ACE inhibitors, insect venom, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular check ups. Check your blood pressure as directed. Ask your doctor what your blood pressure should be, and when you should contact him or her. If you are diabetic, check your blood sugar as directed.
Women should inform their doctor if they wish to become pregnant or think they might be pregnant. There is a potential for serious side effects to an unborn child. Talk to your health care professional or pharmacist for more information.
Check with your doctor if you have severe diarrhea or vomiting, or if you sweat a lot or become dehydrated. The loss of body fluids can be dangerous while taking this medicine.
A few patients have had strong allergic reactions during desensitization treatment with hymenoptera venom and during some kinds of dialysis. Talk to your doctor if you are going to have either of these procedures.
If you are going to have surgery, tell your doctor or health care professional that you are taking this medicine.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Protect from moisture. Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
How Much Does ramipril Cost?
Compare prices and save money on your next refill!
Last Updated: April 28, 2015