Highlights for raltegravir
raltegravir Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- feeling anxious, depressed, or paranoid
- fever or chills, sore throat
- muscle pain or weakness
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- suicidal thoughts or other mood changes
- trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusually weak or tired
- weight gain around waist, back, or thinning of face, arms, legs
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (Report these to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome.):
- nausea, vomiting
- stomach pain
- trouble sleeping
raltegravir May Interact with Other Medications
- medicines for stomach problems like antacids, cimetidine, famotidine, omeprazole, lansoprazole
How to Use raltegravir
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. It can be chewed or swallowed whole. Follow the directions on the prescription label. You can take it with or without food. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. For your anti-HIV therapy to work as well as possible, take each dose exactly as prescribed. Do not skip doses or stop your medicine even if you feel better. Skipping doses may make the HIV virus resistant to this medicine and other medicines. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 4 weeks for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- liver disease
- suicidal thoughts, plans, or attempt; a previous suicide attempt by you or a family member
- an unusual or allergic reaction to raltegravir, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular check ups. Discuss any new symptoms with your doctor. You will need to have important blood work done while on this medicine.
HIV is spread to others through sexual or blood contact. Talk to your doctor about how to stop the spread of HIV.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 20 and 25 degrees C (68 and 77 degrees F). Keep this medicine in the original container. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
How Much Does raltegravir Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for raltegravir
Last Updated: April 14, 2014