Highlights for pyrimethamine
pyrimethamine Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- dark urine
- difficulty breathing
- feeling faint or lightheaded
- fever or chills, sore throat
- increased sensitivity to the sun or ultraviolet light
- irregular heartbeat
- sore mouth
- redness, blistering, peeling, or loosening of skin, including skin inside the mouth
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- loss of appetite
- nausea, vomiting
- stomach upset
pyrimethamine May Interact with Other Medications
- sulfonamide antibiotics
How to Use pyrimethamine
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. If this medicine upsets your stomach take it with food or milk. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Take all of your medicine as directed even if you think your are better. Do not skip doses or stop your medicine early.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- anemia or other blood disorders
- folate deficiency
- history of an alcohol abuse problem
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- nutrition problems
- an unusual or allergic reaction to pyrimethamine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular check ups. Tell your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if you get new symptoms. If you get a skin rash, stop taking your medicine and contact your doctor right away.
Do not get pregnant while taking this drug. Talk to your doctor about effective birth control methods.
You may need to take folinic acid while you are taking this medicine. Talk to your health care professional.
Keep out of the reach of children. This medicine is very dangerous in overdose.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 25 degrees C (59 and 77 degrees F). Protect from light and moisture. Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
Last Updated: October 22, 2013