Highlights for pseudoephedrine
pseudoephedrine Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- bloody diarrhea with stomach pain
- breathing problems
- chest pain
- confused, agitated, nervous
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- high blood pressure
- pain, tingling, numbness in the hands or feet
- trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
- trouble sleeping
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- loss of appetite
- nausea, stomach upset
pseudoephedrine May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- ergot alkaloids like dihydroergotamine, ergonovine, ergotamine, methylergonovine
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
- stimulant medicines for attention disorders, weight loss, or to stay awake
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- medicines for blood pressure
- medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances like fluoxetine, sertraline
- medicines for enlarged prostate
- medicines for sleep
- other medicines for cold, cough, or allergy
- some heart medicines like metoprolol
- St. John's Wort
How to Use pseudoephedrine
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the package or prescription label. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 6 years of age for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
Patients over 65 years old may have a stronger reaction and need a smaller dose.
They need to know if you have any of the following conditions:
- heart disease
- high blood pressure
- kidney disease
- prostate trouble
- taken an MAOI like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, or Parnate in last 14 days
- thyroid disease
- trouble passing urine
- an unusual or allergic reaction to pseudoephedrine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Tell your doctor or healthcare professional if your symptoms do not start to get better or if they get worse. See your doctor if you are not better in 7 days or if you have a fever.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 25 degrees C (59 and 77 degrees F). Protect from heat and moisture. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
pseudoephedrine, PD-Rx Pharmaceuticals, Inc., 30mg
pseudoephedrine, PD-Rx Pharmaceuticals, Inc., 60mg
pseudoephedrine, Roxane Laboratories Inc, 30mg
pseudoephedrine, Roxane Laboratories Inc, 60mg
pseudoephedrine, Rugby Laboratories a Division of The Harvard Drug Group, LLC, 30mg
pseudoephedrine, Major Pharmaceuticals Inc, 120mg
pseudoephedrine, Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., 120mg
pseudoephedrine, Walgreen Co, 30mg
How Much Does pseudoephedrine Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for pseudoephedrine
Last Updated: July 20, 2009