Highlights for piroxicam
piroxicam Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- changes in vision
- chest pain
- difficulty breathing or wheezing
- nausea or vomiting
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- slurred speech or weakness on one side of the body
- unexplained weight gain or swelling
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusually weak or tired
- yellowing of eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
piroxicam May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- aspirin and aspirin-like medicines
- medicines for high blood pressure
- medicines that treat or prevent blood clots such as warfarin and other blood thinners
- NSAIDs, medicines for pain and inflammation, like ibuprofen or naproxen
- steroid medicines like prednisone or cortisone
How to Use piroxicam
Take this medicine by mouth with food and with a full glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Long-term, continuous use may increase the risk of heart attack or stroke.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
Elderly patients over 65 years old may have a stronger reaction and need a smaller dose.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- asthma, especially aspirin sensitive asthma
- coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery within the past 2 weeks
- drink more than 3 alcohol containing drinks a day
- heart disease or circulation problems like heart failure or leg edema (fluid retention)
- high blood pressure
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- stomach bleeding or ulcers
- an unusual or allergic reaction to piroxicam, aspirin, other NSAIDs, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Tell your doctor or health care professional if your pain does not go away, if it gets worse, or if you have new or a different type of pain. It can take up to 2 weeks before the medicine works. Do not take with other pain killers without advice from your doctor. If you get flu like symptoms (fever, chills, muscle aches, and pains), call your doctor or health care professional. Do not treat yourself.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells.
Do not smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol. These increase irritation to your stomach and can make it more susceptible to damage from the medicine.
The medicine can cause you to bleed more easily. Try to avoid damage to your teeth and gums when you brush or floss your teeth.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store below 30 degrees C (86 degrees F). Keep container tightly closed. Protect from light. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
piroxicam, Mylan Institutional LLC formerly UDL Laboratories Inc, 20mg
piroxicam, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 10mg
piroxicam, Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals Inc. a Sun Pharma Company, 10mg
piroxicam, Mylan Institutional LLC formerly UDL Laboratories Inc, 10mg
piroxicam, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc, 10mg
piroxicam, Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals Inc. a Sun Pharma Company, 20mg
piroxicam, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 20mg
piroxicam, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc, 20mg
piroxicam, PD-Rx Pharmaceuticals, Inc., 10mg
How Much Does piroxicam Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for piroxicam
Last Updated: July 16, 2009