Highlights for piperacillin-tazobactam
piperacillin-tazobactam Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- agitation or anxiety
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- chest pain
- difficulty breathing, wheezing
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- fever or chills
- high blood pressure
- high blood sugar
- red spots on the skin
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- diarrhea or constipation
- nausea, vomiting
- pain, swelling, or irritation at site where injected
- stomach upset
- trouble sleeping
piperacillin-tazobactam May Interact with Other Medications
- aspirin and aspirin-like drugs
- birth control pills
- certain antibiotics given by injection
- medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like warfarin, heparin, enoxaparin, and dalteparin
- vecuronium used for sleep during surgery
How to Use piperacillin-tazobactam
This medicine is for infusion into a vein. It is usually given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
If you get this medicine at home, you will be taught how to prepare and give this medicine. Use exactly as directed. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
It is important that you put your used needles and syringes in a special sharps container. Do not put them in a trash can. If you do not have a sharps container, call your pharmacist or healthcare provider to get one.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- bleeding problems
- kidney disease
- salt restricted diet
- an unusual or allergic reaction to piperacillin, tazobactam, other penicillin or cephalosporin antibiotics, imipenem, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Tell your doctor or healthcare professional if your symptoms do not start to get better or if they get worse. Your doctor will monitor your condition and blood work as needed.
Do not treat diarrhea with over the counter products. Contact your doctor if you have diarrhea that lasts more than 2 days or if it is severe and watery.
This medicine can interfere with some urine glucose tests. If you use such tests, talk with your health care professional.
Keep out of the reach of children.
If you are using this medicine at home, you will be instructed on how to store this medicine. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date on the label.
How Much Does piperacillin-tazobactam Cost?
Compare prices and save money on your next refill!
Lowest price for piperacillin-tazobactam
Last Updated: July 25, 2014