Highlights for pimozide
pimozide Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- change in emotion or behavior such as feeling depressed, angry, or anxious
- fast, slow or irregular heartbeat
- fever or chills, sore throat
- inability to control muscle movements in the face, hands, arms, or legs
- loss of balance or difficulty walking
- spasms of the face, tongue, or mouth
- tremors or trembling
- uncontrollable tongue or mouth movements
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- dizziness; especially on standing from a sitting or lying position
- dry mouth
- sexual difficulties
- weight loss
pimozide May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- antiviral medicines for HIV or AIDS
- arsenic trioxide
- certain antibiotics like ciprofloxacin, clarithromycin, dalfopristin; quinupristin, erythromycin, isoniazid, gemifloxacin, grepafloxacin, levofloxacin, moxifloxacin, norfloxacin, ofloxacin, pentamidine, telithromycin
- certain medicines for ADHD like amphetamine, dexmethylphenidate, dextroamphetamine, methylphenidate
- certain medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances like citalopram, clozapine, escitalopram, haloperidol, maprotiline, paroxetine, sertraline, fluvoxamine, nefazodone, ziprasidone
- certain medicines for fungal infections like fluconazole, itraconazole, ketoconazole, posaconazole, voriconazole
- certain medicines for irregular heart beat like dofetilide, dronedarone
- grapefruit juice
- local anesthetics
- other medicines that prolong the QT interval (cause an abnormal heart rhythm)
- phenothiazines like chlorpromazine, mesoridazine, prochlorperazine, thioridazine
- sodium phosphates
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- barbiturates like phenobarbital
- certain medicines for anxiety or sleep
- certain medicines for asthma
- certain medicines for seizures like carbamazepine
- narcotic medicines for pain
How to Use pimozide
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on the advice of your doctor or health care professional.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this medicine may be prescribed for children as young as 12 years of age for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- heart disease
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- Parkinson's disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to pimozide, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. It may be several weeks before you see the full effects of this medicine. Do not stop taking this medicine suddenly. You may need to gradually reduce the dose. Only stop taking this medicine on advice of your doctor or health care professional.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol can increase dizziness and drowsiness. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
Do not drink grapefruit juice products while taking this medicine. This can increase the chance of developing serious heart problems.
This medicine can reduce the response of your body to heat or cold. Dress warm in cold weather and stay hydrated in hot weather. If possible, avoid extreme temperatures like saunas, hot tubs, very hot or cold showers, or activities that can cause dehydration such as vigorous exercise.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
pimozide, Par Pharmaceutical Inc, 1mg
pimozide, Par Pharmaceutical Inc, 2mg
How Much Does pimozide Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for pimozide
Last Updated: July 10, 2014