Highlights for paroxetine
paroxetine Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- black or bloody stools, blood in the urine or vomit
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- hallucination, loss of contact with reality
- painful or prolonged erection (men)
- suicidal thoughts or other mood changes
- trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- change in appetite, weight
- change in sex drive or performance
- constipation or diarrhea
- difficulty sleeping
- increased sweating
- muscle pain or weakness
paroxetine May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
- methylene blue (injected into a vein)
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- aspirin and aspirin-like medicines
- certain medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
- certain medicines for irregular heart beat like propafenone, flecainide, encainide, and quinidine
- certain medicines for migraine headache like almotriptan, eletriptan, frovatriptan, naratriptan, rizatriptan, sumatriptan, zolmitriptan
- medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like warfarin, enoxaparin, and dalteparin
- medicines for sleep
- NSAIDs, medicines for pain and inflammation, like ibuprofen or naproxen
- supplements like St. John's wort, kava kava, valerian
How to Use paroxetine
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. You can take it with or without food. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking this medicine suddenly except upon the advice of your doctor. Stopping this medicine too quickly may cause serious side effects or your condition may worsen.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- bleeding disorders
- heart disease
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- low levels of sodium in the blood
- mania or bipolar disorder
- suicidal thoughts, plans, or attempt; a previous suicide attempt by you or a family member
- take MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
- take medicines that treat or prevent blood clots
- an unusual or allergic reaction to paroxetine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Tell your doctor if your symptoms do not get better or if they get worse. Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. Because it may take several weeks to see the full effects of this medicine, it is important to continue your treatment as prescribed by your doctor.
Patients and their families should watch out for new or worsening thoughts of suicide or depression. Also watch out for sudden changes in feelings such as feeling anxious, agitated, panicky, irritable, hostile, aggressive, impulsive, severely restless, overly excited and hyperactive, or not being able to sleep. If this happens, especially at the beginning of treatment or after a change in dose, call your health care professional.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol may interfere with the effect of this medicine. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
Your mouth may get dry. Chewing sugarless gum or sucking hard candy, and drinking plenty of water will help. Contact your doctor if the problem does not go away or is severe.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
Paxil CR, 12.5mg
Paxil CR, 25mg
Paxil CR, 37.5mg
paroxetine, International Labs, Inc. for Walmart, 20mg
paroxetine, Aurobindo Pharma USA Inc., 10mg
paroxetine, Major Pharmaceuticals Inc, 20mg
paroxetine, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc, 30mg
paroxetine, Aurobindo Pharma USA Inc., 30mg
paroxetine, American Health Packaging, 30mg
paroxetine, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 30mg
paroxetine, Apotex Corp, 30mg
paroxetine, Par Pharmaceutical Inc, 30mg
paroxetine, Major Pharmaceuticals Inc, 30mg
paroxetine, Aurobindo Pharma USA Inc., 40mg
paroxetine, American Health Packaging, 40mg
paroxetine, Apotex Corp, 40mg
paroxetine, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 40mg
paroxetine, Major Pharmaceuticals Inc, 30mg
paroxetine, Zydus Pharmaceuticals (USA) Inc, 30mg
paroxetine, Zydus Pharmaceuticals (USA) Inc, 40mg
paroxetine, Par Pharmaceutical Inc, 40mg
paroxetine, Major Pharmaceuticals Inc, 40mg
paroxetine, Par Pharmaceutical Inc, 20mg
paroxetine, Par Pharmaceutical Inc, 10mg
paroxetine, Major Pharmaceuticals Inc, 10mg
paroxetine, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc, 10mg
paroxetine, Zydus Pharmaceuticals (USA) Inc, 10mg
paroxetine, Apotex Corp, 10mg
paroxetine, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 10mg
paroxetine, American Health Packaging, 10mg
paroxetine, Zydus Pharmaceuticals (USA) Inc, 20mg
paroxetine, Apotex Corp, 20mg
paroxetine, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 20mg
paroxetine, American Health Packaging, 20mg
paroxetine, Aurobindo Pharma USA Inc., 20mg
paroxetine, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc, 20mg
paroxetine, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc, 37.5mg
paroxetine, Apotex Corp, 25mg
paroxetine, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc, 12.5mg
How Much Does paroxetine Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for paroxetine
Last Updated: August 1, 2013