Highlights for paricalcitol
paricalcitol Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- bone, muscle pain
- breathing problems
- chest pain, irregular heartbeat
- fever, infection
- increased need to urinate
- increased thirst
- numb, tingling pain
- unexpected weight loss
- unusual blood pressure
- unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- constipation, diarrhea
- dry mouth
- loss of appetite
- metallic taste
- nausea, vomiting
- stomach upset
- trouble sleeping
paricalcitol May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- vitamin D
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- certain antibiotics like clarithromycin, telithromycin
- certain medicines for seizures like phenobarbital
- grapefruit juice
- medicines for cholesterol like cholestyramine, colestipol
- medicines for fungal infections like ketoconazole and itraconazole
- medicines for HIV called protease inhibitors
- mineral oil
- some antacids and vitamins
How to Use paricalcitol
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. You can take it with or without food. If it upsets your stomach, take it with food. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of the following conditions:
- liver disease
- too much calcium, phosphorus, or vitamin D in your blood
- an unusual or allergic reaction to paricalcitol, vitamin D, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. You will need to have important lab work done while you are taking this medicine.
You will need to be on a special diet while you are taking this medicine. Do not take any non-prescription medicines that have vitamin D, phosphorus, or magnesium including antacids, unless directed by your doctor. Take calcium only as directed. The extra supplements can cause side effects.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
paricalcitol, Zydus Pharmaceuticals (USA) Inc, 1mcg
paricalcitol, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 1mcg
paricalcitol, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, Inc., 1mcg
paricalcitol, Banner Pharmacaps Inc, 1mcg
paricalcitol, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, Inc., 2mcg
paricalcitol, Banner Pharmacaps Inc, 2mcg
paricalcitol, Zydus Pharmaceuticals (USA) Inc, 2mcg
paricalcitol, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 2mcg
paricalcitol, Banner Pharmacaps Inc, 4mcg
paricalcitol, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 4mcg
Last Updated: July 24, 2009