Highlights for papaverine
papaverine Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- stomach pain
- yellowing or the eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- decreased appetite
- diarrhea or constipation
- sweating or flushing
papaverine May Interact with Other Medications
- barbiturate medicines for inducing sleep or treating seizures
- medicines for anxiety or sleeping problems like diazepam or temazepam
- prescription pain medicines
How to Use papaverine
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Do not chew, open, break or crush the capsules. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- heart disease or irregular heartbeats
- an unusual or allergic reaction to papaverine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol may increase dizziness and drowsiness. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
papaverine, United Research Laboratories, Inc. a subsidiary of Sun Pharmaceutical Industries, Inc., 150mg
papaverine, Major Pharmaceuticals Inc, 150mg
papaverine, Eon Labs Inc a Division of Sandoz, 150mg
papaverine, Qualitest Pharmaceuticals Inc, 150mg
Last Updated: July 20, 2009