Highlights for oxytocin
oxytocin Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- excessive or continuing vaginal bleeding
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- high blood pressure
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusual swelling, sudden weight gain
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- nausea and vomiting
oxytocin May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- Ephedra, Ma Huang
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- dinoprostone, prostaglandin E2
- medicines for blood pressure
- medicines used for sleep during surgery
- other medicines to contract the uterus
How to Use oxytocin
This medicine is for infusion into a vein. It is given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- any condition where vaginal childbirth is unwanted like cervical cancer, herpes infection, oversized fetal head
- dangerous position of the fetus, placenta, or umbilical cord
- history of uterine surgery like cesarean section
- pregnant many times before
- uterus over stimulated
- an unusual or allergic reaction to oxytocin, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
This does not apply.
Your condition will be monitored carefully while you are receiving this medicine.
This drug is given in a hospital or clinic and will not be stored at home.
How Much Does oxytocin Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for oxytocin
Last Updated: July 14, 2009