Highlights for ondansetron
ondansetron Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips or tongue
- breathing problems
- fast or irregular heartbeat
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- fever and chills
- loss of balance or coordination
- swelling of the hands or feet
- tightness in the chest
- unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- constipation or diarrhea
ondansetron May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- certain medicines for fungal infections like fluconazole, itraconazole, ketoconazole, posaconazole, voriconazole
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- certain medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
- methylene blue (injected into a vein)
- other medicines that prolong the QT interval (cause an abnormal heart rhythm)
How to Use ondansetron
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on your prescription label. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- heart disease
- history of irregular heartbeat
- liver disease
- low levels of magnesium or potassium in the blood
- an unusual or allergic reaction to ondansetron, granisetron, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Check with your doctor or health care professional right away if you have any sign of an allergic reaction.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store between 2 and 30 degrees C (36 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
ondansetron, Sandoz Inc. a Novartis Company, 4mg
ondansetron, Actavis Inc. Towata LLC, 4mg
ondansetron, Glenmark Pharmaceuticals, 8mg
ondansetron, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 8mg
ondansetron, Sandoz Inc. a Novartis Company, 8mg
ondansetron, Greenstone Ltd, 8mg
ondansetron, Glenmark Pharmaceuticals, 4mg
ondansetron, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 4mg
ondansetron, Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals Inc. a Sun Pharma Company, 8mg
How Much Does ondansetron Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for ondansetron
Last Updated: September 24, 2014