Highlights for norethindrone-acetate
norethindrone-acetate Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- breast tenderness or discharge
- pain in the abdomen, chest, groin or leg
- severe headache
- skin rash, itching, or hives
- sudden shortness of breath
- unusually weak or tired
- vision or speech problems
- yellowing of skin or eyes
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- changes in sexual desire
- change in menstrual flow
- facial hair growth
- fluid retention and swelling
- weight gain or loss
norethindrone-acetate May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- amprenavir or fosamprenavir
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- antibiotics or medicines for infections, especially rifampin, rifabutin, rifapentine, and griseofulvin, and possibly penicillins or tetracyclines
- barbiturate medicines, such as phenobarbital
- ritonavir or other medicines for HIV infection or AIDS
- St. John's wort
How to Use norethindrone-acetate
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. You may take this medicine with or without food. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take this medicine at the same time each day. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
A patient information sheet will be given with each prescription and refill. Read this sheet carefully each time. The sheet may change frequently.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- blood vessel disease or blood clots
- breast, cervical, or vaginal cancer
- heart disease
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- mental depression
- vaginal bleeding
- an unusual or allergic reaction to norethindrone, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. You will need a regular breast and pelvic exam and Pap smear while on this medicine.
If you have any reason to think you are pregnant, stop taking this medicine right away and contact your doctor or health care professional.
If you are taking this medicine for hormone related problems, it may take several cycles of use to see improvement in your condition.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
norethindrone-acetate, Barr Laboratories Inc a Division of Teva USA, 5mg
norethindrone-acetate, Glenmark Pharmaceuticals, 5mg
How Much Does norethindrone-acetate Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for norethindrone-acetate
Last Updated: July 13, 2009