Highlights for nefazodone
nefazodone Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- changes in vision
- dark urine
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- flu-like symptoms like fever, chills, cough, muscle or joint aches and pains
- irregular heartbeat
- loss of appetite for several days
- prolonged or painful erection
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- suicidal thoughts or other mood changes
- trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
- unusually tired or weak
- yellowing of the eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- nausea or stomach upset
nefazodone May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- ergot alkaloids like dihydroergotamine, ergotamine, methysergide
- medicines called MAO Inhibitors like Nardil, Parnate, Marplan, Eldepryl
- methylene blue
- SSRIs like citalopram, escitalopram, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, paroxetine, and sertraline
- red yeast rice
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- general anesthetics
- medicines for anxiety or sleeping problems, such as alprazolam, diazepam, or clonazepam
How to Use nefazodone
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. You may take this medicine with or without food. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking this medicine suddenly except upon the advice of your doctor. Stopping this medicine too quickly may cause serious side effects or your condition may worsen.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- bipolar disorder or mania
- heart disease
- liver disease
- suicidal thoughts, plans, or attempt; a previous suicide attempt by you or a family member
- an unusual or allergic reaction to nefazodone, other medicines, food, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Tell your doctor if your symptoms do not get better or if they get worse. Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. Because it may take several weeks to see the full effects of this medicine, it is important to continue your treatment as prescribed by your doctor.
Patients and their families should watch out for new or worsening thoughts of suicide or depression. Also watch out for sudden changes in feelings such as feeling anxious, agitated, panicky, irritable, hostile, aggressive, impulsive, severely restless, overly excited and hyperactive, or not being able to sleep. If this happens, especially at the beginning of treatment or after a change in dose, call your health care professional.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol may interfere with the effect of this medicine. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
Your mouth may get dry. Chewing sugarless gum or sucking hard candy, and drinking plenty of water will help. Contact your doctor if the problem does not go away or is severe.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature below 40 degrees C (104 degrees F). Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
nefazodone, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 250mg
nefazodone, AvKARE, Inc., 250mg
nefazodone, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, Inc., 50mg
nefazodone, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 200mg
nefazodone, Ivax Pharmaceuticals Inc a Division of Teva USA, 150mg
nefazodone, Par Pharmaceutical Inc, 50mg
nefazodone, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 150mg
nefazodone, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 100mg
nefazodone, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 50mg
nefazodone, Ivax Pharmaceuticals Inc a Division of Teva USA, 100mg
nefazodone, Ivax Pharmaceuticals Inc a Division of Teva USA, 50mg
Last Updated: July 22, 2014