Highlights for moxifloxacin
moxifloxacin Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- confusion, nightmares or hallucinations
- difficulty breathing
- irregular heartbeat or feeling faint
- joint, muscle or tendon pain or swelling
- pain or difficulty passing urine
- persistent headache with or without blurred vision
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- unusual pain, numbness, tingling, or weakness
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- dry mouth
- nausea or stomach upset
- trouble sleeping
moxifloxacin May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- arsenic trioxide
- phenothiazines like chlorpromazine, mesoridazine, prochlorperazine, thioridazine
- some medications for irregular heart rhythm like amiodarone, disopyramide, dofetilide, flecainide, ibutilide, quinidine, procainamide, sotalol
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- birth control pills
- didanosine (ddI) buffered tablets or powder
- medicines for inflammation like ibuprofen, naproxen
- vitamins with iron or zinc
- medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
How to Use moxifloxacin
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. It can be taken with or without food. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Take all of your medicine as directed even if you think your are better. Do not skip doses or stop your medicine early.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- bone problems
- cerebral disease
- joint problems
- irregular heartbeat
- liver disease
- myasthenia gravis
- seizure disorder
- tendon problems
- an unusual or allergic reaction to moxifloxacin, other quinolone antibiotics, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or try to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Tell your doctor or health care professional if your symptoms do not improve.
Do not treat diarrhea with over the counter products. Contact your doctor if you have diarrhea that lasts more than 2 days or if it is severe and watery.
If you have diabetes, monitor your blood glucose carefully while on this medicine.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells.
This medicine can make you more sensitive to the sun. Keep out of the sun. If you cannot avoid being in the sun, wear protective clothing and use sunscreen. Do not use sun lamps or tanning beds/booths.
Avoid antacids, aluminum, calcium, iron, magnesium, and zinc products for 4 hours before and 8 hours after taking a dose of this medicine.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 to 30 degrees C (59 to 86 degrees F). Do not store in a humid place. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
Avelox ABC Pack, 400mg
Avelox ABC Pack, 400mg
moxifloxacin, Torrent Pharma, Inc, 400mg
moxifloxacin, Alvogen, Inc, 400mg
moxifloxacin, PD-RX Pharmaceuticals Incorporated, 400mg
How Much Does moxifloxacin Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for moxifloxacin
Last Updated: July 25, 2014