Highlights for modafinil
modafinil Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- chest pain
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- increased blood pressure
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- sore throat, fever, or chills
- suicidal thoughts or other mood changes
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- nausea, diarrhea, or stomach upset
- trouble sleeping
modafinil May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- amphetamine or dextroamphetamine
- dexmethylphenidate or methylphenidate
- medicines called MAO Inhibitors like Nardil, Parnate, Marplan, Eldepryl
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- antifungal medicines like itraconazole or ketoconazole
- barbiturates like phenobarbital
- birth control pills or other hormone-containing birth control devices or implants
- medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
How to Use modafinil
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. This medicine is not approved for use in children.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- history of depression, mania, or other mental disorder
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to modafinil, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. The full effects of this medicine may not be seen right away.
This medicine may affect your concentration, function, or may hide signs that you are tired. You may get dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this drug affects you. Alcohol can make you more dizzy and may interfere with your response to this medicine or your alertness. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
Birth control pills may not work properly while you are taking this medicine. Talk to your doctor about using an extra method of birth control.
It is unknown if the effects of this medicine will be increased by the use of caffeine. Caffeine is available in many foods, beverages, and medications. Ask your doctor if you should limit or change your intake of caffeine-containing products while on this medicine.
Keep out of the reach of children. This medicine can be abused. Keep your medicine in a safe place to protect it from theft. Do not share this medicine with anyone. Selling or giving away this medicine is dangerous and against the law.
Store at room temperature between 20 and 25 degrees C (68 and 77 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
How Much Does modafinil Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for modafinil
Last Updated: November 30, 2010