Highlights for metoprolol
metoprolol Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives
- breathing problems
- cold or numb hands or feet
- feeling faint
- fever with sore throat
- irregular heartbeat, chest pain
- rapid weight gain
- swollen legs or ankles
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- anxiety or nervousness
- change in sex drive or performance
- dry skin
- nightmares or trouble sleeping
- short term memory loss
- stomach upset or diarrhea
- unusually tired
metoprolol May Interact with Other Medications
This medicine may interact with the following medications:
- certain medicines for blood pressure, heart disease, irregular heart beat
- certain medicines for depression like monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors, fluoxetine, or paroxetine
How to Use metoprolol
This medicine is for injection into a vein. It is given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- heart or vessel disease like slow heart rate, worsening heart failure, heart block, sick sinus syndrome or Raynaud's disease
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- lung or breathing disease, like asthma or emphysema
- thyroid disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to metoprolol, other beta-blockers, medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
This does not apply.
Your condition will be monitored carefully while you are receiving this medicine.
This drug is given in a hospital or clinic and will not be stored at home.
How Much Does metoprolol Cost?
Compare prices and save money on your next refill!
Lowest price for metoprolol
Last Updated: August 22, 2014