Highlights for methenamine-sodium-acid-phosphate
methenamine-sodium-acid-phosphate Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- bone pain
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- pain, tingling or numbness in hands or feet
- trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
- unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (Report these to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome.):
- upset stomach
methenamine-sodium-acid-phosphate May Interact with Other Medications
- choline salicylate
- certain antibiotics like sulfacetamide and sulfamethoxazole
- certain medicines for blood pressure like hydrochlorothiazide
- magnesium salicylate
- sodium bicarbonate
How to Use methenamine-sodium-acid-phosphate
Take this medicine by mouth with a full glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Take all of your medicine as directed even if you think you are better. Do not skip doses or stop your medicine early.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- heart disease
- high blood pressure
- high levels of phosphate in the blood
- high levels of sodium in the blood
- history of pancreatitis
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- parathyroid disease
- sodium (salt) restricted diet
- an unusual or allergic reaction to methenamine; sodium acid phosphate, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Tell your doctor or healthcare professional if your symptoms do not start to get better or if they get worse.
Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you.
You may need to be on a special diet while taking this medicine. Ask your health care professional how many glasses of water or other fluids to drink each day. Also, ask which foods to include and which to avoid to help keep your urine acidic. Your urine must be acidic for this medicine to work.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date. Protect from light.
What does the pill look like?
methenamine-sodium-acid-phosphate, Beach Pharmaceuticals, 500mg
methenamine-sodium-acid-phosphate, Vision Pharma., LLC., 500mg
Last Updated: August 29, 2013