Highlights for metaxalone
metaxalone Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- upset stomach
metaxalone May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medication with any of the following medicines:
- narcotic medicines for cough
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- antihistamines for allergy, cough and cold
- certain medicines for anxiety or sleep
- certain medicines for depression like amitriptyline, fluoxetine, sertraline
- certain medicines for seizures like phenobarbital, primidone
- general anesthetics like halothane, isoflurane, methoxyflurane, propofol
- local anesthetics like lidocaine, pramoxine, tetracaine
- medicines that relax muscles for surgery
- narcotic medicines for pain
- phenothiazines like chlorpromazine, mesoridazine, prochlorperazine, thioridazine
How to Use metaxalone
Take this medicine by mouth. Swallow it with a full glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Do not take more medicine than you are told to take.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 13 years of age for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- anemia or blood disorder
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to metaxalone, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Tell your doctor or health care professional if your symptoms do not start to get better or if they get worse.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol may interfere with the effect of this medicine. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
If you are taking another medicine that also causes drowsiness, you may have more side effects. Give your health care provider a list of all medicines you use. Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take. Do not take more medicine than directed. Call emergency for help if you have problems breathing or unusual sleepiness.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
metaxalone, Sircle Laboratories, 800mg
metaxalone, AvPAK; a Division of AvKARE Inc, 800mg
metaxalone, American Health Packaging, 800mg
metaxalone, Amneal Pharmaceuticals LLC, 800mg
metaxalone, PD-Rx Pharmaceuticals, Inc., 800mg
metaxalone, AvKARE, Inc., 800mg
metaxalone, Blenheim Pharmacal, Inc., 800mg
metaxalone, Gemini Laboratories, LLC, 800mg
metaxalone, BluePoint Laboratories, 800mg
metaxalone, CorePharma, LLC, a Impax Labs Company, 800mg
How Much Does metaxalone Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for metaxalone
Last Updated: September 27, 2016