Highlights for medroxyprogesterone
medroxyprogesterone Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- breast tenderness or discharge
- changes in mood or emotions, such as depression
- changes in vision or speech
- pain in the abdomen, chest, groin, or leg
- severe headache
- skin rash, itching, or hives
- sudden shortness of breath
- unusually weak or tired
- yellowing of skin or eyes
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- change in menstrual bleeding pattern or flow
- changes in sexual desire
- facial hair growth
- fluid retention and swelling
- upset stomach
- weight gain or loss
medroxyprogesterone May Interact with Other Medications
- barbiturate medicines for inducing sleep or treating seizures (convulsions)
- St. John's Wort
How to Use medroxyprogesterone
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 13 years for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- blood vessel disease or a history of a blood clot in the lungs or legs
- breast, cervical or vaginal cancer
- heart disease
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- recent miscarriage or abortion
- mental depression
- seizures (convulsions)
- vaginal bleeding that has not been evaluated
- an unusual or allergic reaction to medroxyprogesterone, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your health care professional for regular checks on your progress. You will need a regular breast and pelvic exam.
If you have any reason to think you are pregnant, stop taking this medicine at once and contact your doctor or health care professional.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 20 and 25 degrees C (68 and 77 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
medroxyprogesterone, Carnrick Laboratories Inc Div GW Carnrick Co, 10mg
medroxyprogesterone, Upsher-Smith Laboratories, Inc, 10mg
medroxyprogesterone, Barr Laboratories Inc a Division of Teva USA, 2.5mg
medroxyprogesterone, Greenstone Ltd, 2.5mg
medroxyprogesterone, Barr Laboratories Inc a Division of Teva USA, 5mg
medroxyprogesterone, Greenstone Ltd, 5mg
medroxyprogesterone, Major Pharmaceuticals Inc, 10mg
medroxyprogesterone, Greenstone Ltd, 10mg
medroxyprogesterone, PD-Rx Pharmaceuticals, Inc., 10mg
medroxyprogesterone, Barr Laboratories Inc a Division of Teva USA, 10mg
medroxyprogesterone, PD-Rx Pharmaceuticals, Inc., 2.5mg
How Much Does medroxyprogesterone Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for medroxyprogesterone
Last Updated: December 17, 2009