Highlights for lubiprostone
lubiprostone Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- new or worsening stomach pain
- severe or prolonged diarrhea
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your prescriber or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- loose stools
lubiprostone May Interact with Other Medications
- medicines that treat diarrhea
- other medicines for constipation
How to Use lubiprostone
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Do not cut, crush or chew this medicine. Take this medicine with food. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- cancer or tumor in abdomen, intestine, or stomach
- history of bowel obstruction or adhesions
- history of stool (fecal) impaction
- liver disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to lubiprostone, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor for regular check ups. Tell your doctor if your symptoms do not get better or if they get worse.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
How Much Does lubiprostone Cost?
Compare prices and save money on your next refill!
Lowest price for lubiprostone
Last Updated: April 26, 2013