Highlights for iloperidone
iloperidone Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- change in blood sugar
- fainting spells
- fast or irregular heartbeat
- fever or chills, sore throat
- inability to control muscle movements in the face, mouth, hands, arms, or legs
- painful or prolonged erections
- restlessness or need to keep moving
- seizures (convulsions)
- stiffness, spasms, trembling
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (Report these to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome.):
- decreased sexual ability
- drowsiness or dizziness
- dry mouth
- nasal congestion
- nausea, vomiting
- weight gain
iloperidone May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- certain antibiotics such as clarithromycin, erythromycin, gatifloxacin, grepafloxacin, moxifloxacin, pentamidine, sparfloxacin
- certain medicines for fungal infections like fluconazole, itraconazole, ketoconazole, posaconazole, voriconazole
- certain medicines for irregular heartbeat such as amiodarone, disopyramide, dofetilide, dronedarone, ibutilide, procainamide, quinidine, sotalol
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- certain medicines for blood pressure
- certain medications for Parkinson's disease like levodopa
- certain medicines for sleep
- other medicines that prolong the QT interval (cause an abnormal heart rhythm)
How to Use iloperidone
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. You can take it with or without food. If it upsets your stomach, take it with food. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take it more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- blood disorder or disease
- diabetes or a family history of diabetes
- difficulty swallowing
- heart disease or previous heart attack
- history of breast cancer
- irregular heartbeat or low blood pressure
- liver disease
- Parkinson's disease
- seizures (convulsions)
- suicidal thoughts, plans, or attempt by you or a family member
- an unusual or allergic reaction to iloperidone, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. It may be several weeks before you see the full effects of this medicine. Notify your doctor or health care professional if your symptoms get worse, if you have new symptoms, if you are having an unusual effect from this medicine, or if you feel out of control, very discouraged or think you might harm yourself or others.
Do not suddenly stop taking this medicine. You may need to gradually reduce the dose. Ask your doctor or health care professional for advice.
You may get dizzy or drowsy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol can increase dizziness and drowsiness. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
Your mouth may get dry. Chewing sugarless gum or sucking hard candy, and drinking plenty of water will help.
This medicine can reduce the response of your body to heat or cold. Dress warm in cold weather and stay hydrated in hot weather. If possible, avoid extreme temperatures like saunas, hot tubs, very hot or cold showers, or activities that can cause dehydration such as vigorous exercise.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Protect from light and moisture. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
How Much Does iloperidone Cost?
Compare prices and save money on your next refill!
Lowest price for iloperidone
Last Updated: July 13, 2014