Highlights for ibuprofen-pseudoephedrine
ibuprofen-pseudoephedrine Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- high blood pressure
- pain, tingling, numbness in the hands or feet
- severe stomach pain
- signs and symptoms of bleeding such as bloody or black, tarry stools; red or dark-brown urine; spitting up blood or brown material that looks like coffee grounds; red spots on the skin; unusual bruising or bleeding from the eye, gums, or nose
- signs and symptoms of a blood clot such as changes in vision; chest pain; severe, sudden headache; trouble speaking; sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm, or leg
- trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
- unexplained weight gain or swelling
- unusually weak or tired
- yellowing of the eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- constipation or diarrhea
- loss of appetite
- nausea, vomiting
- trouble sleeping
ibuprofen-pseudoephedrine May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- ergot alkaloids like dihydroergotamine, ergonovine, ergotamine, methylergonovine
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
- stimulant medicines for attention disorders, weight loss, or to stay awake
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- aspirin and aspirin-like medicines
- medicines for bladder problems
- medicines for blood pressure, heart disease, irregular heart beat
- medicines for chest pain like digoxin, nifedipine, verapamil
- medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
- medicine for prostate
- medicines for sleep during surgery
- medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like warfarin, enoxaparin, and dalteparin
- other drugs for congestion, fever, inflammation, or pain
- steroid medicines like prednisone or cortisone
- St. John's Wort
How to Use ibuprofen-pseudoephedrine
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the package label. You can take it with or without food. If it upsets your stomach, take it with food. Try to not lie down for at least 10 minutes after you take the medicine. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take it more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 12 years old for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
Patients over 65 years old may have a stronger reaction and need a smaller dose.
They need to know if you have any of the following conditions:
- bleeding problems
- heart disease or surgery
- high blood pressure
- kidney disease
- not drinking fluids
- severe vomiting or diarrhea
- stomach ulcer or other problems
- taken an MAOI like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, or Parnate in last 14 days
- thyroid disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to ibuprofen, pseudoephedrine, other fever reducers or pain relievers, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Tell your doctor or healthcare professional if your symptoms do not start to get better or if they get worse. See your doctor if fever, pain, or nasal congestion gets worse or lasts more than 3 days.
If this medicine makes it hard for you to sleep, try taking the dose earlier in the day. If you still have trouble sleeping stop taking this medicine and see your doctor.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 20 and 25 degrees C (68 and 77 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
ibuprofen-pseudoephedrine, Rite Aid Corp, 200mg, 30mg
ibuprofen-pseudoephedrine, Walgreen Co, 200mg, 30mg
Last Updated: May 6, 2014