Highlights for hydrochlorothiazide-spironolactone
hydrochlorothiazide-spironolactone Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions such as skin rash or itching, hives, swelling of the lips, mouth, tongue, or throat
- black or tarry stools
- changes in vision
- difficulty breathing
- eye pain
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- feeling faint or dizzy
- gout pain
- muscle pain, cramps
- numbness, tingling in hands or feet
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- trouble passing urine
- unusual bleeding
- unusually weak or tired
- yellowing of the eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- breast enlargement in both males and females
- change in sex drive or performance
- dry mouth, increased thirst
- irregular menstrual periods
- stomach upset, nausea
hydrochlorothiazide-spironolactone May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- ACE inhibitors like captopril, lisinopril
- medicine for pain and inflammation like indomethacin
- other diuretics
- potassium supplements
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- barbiturate medicines for sleep or seizure control
- medicines for diabetes
- medicines for high blood pressure or heart failure
- muscle relaxers
- neuromuscular blockers used during surgery
- some medicines for pain like codeine
- steroid hormones like cortisone, hydrocortisone, prednisone
How to Use hydrochlorothiazide-spironolactone
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. You can take it with or without food. If it upsets your stomach, take it with food. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Remember that you will need to pass urine frequently after taking this medicine. Do not take your doses at a time of day that will cause you problems. Do not take at bedtime. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- immune system problems, like lupus
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- an unusual reaction to hydrochlorothiazide, spironolactone, sulfa drugs, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. Check your blood pressure as directed. Ask your doctor what your blood pressure should be, and when you should contact them. If you are diabetic, check your blood sugar as directed.
You must not get dehydrated. Ask your doctor or health care professional how much fluid you need to drink a day. Check with him or her if you get an attack of severe diarrhea, nausea and vomiting, or if you sweat a lot. The loss of too much body fluid can make it dangerous for you to take this medicine.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol may interfere with the effect of this medicine. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
This medicine can make you more sensitive to the sun. Keep out of the sun. If you cannot avoid being in the sun, wear protective clothing and use sunscreen. Do not use sun lamps or tanning beds/booths.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store below 25 degrees C (77 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
Aldactazide, 25mg, 25mg
Aldactazide, 50mg, 50mg
hydrochlorothiazide-spironolactone, Mylan Institutional LLC formerly UDL Laboratories Inc, 25, 25mg
hydrochlorothiazide-spironolactone, United Research Laboratories, Inc. a subsidiary of Sun Pharmaceutical Industries, Inc., 25, 25mg
hydrochlorothiazide-spironolactone, Sun Pharmaceutical Industries, Inc., 25, 25mg
hydrochlorothiazide-spironolactone, Greenstone Ltd, 25, 25mg
hydrochlorothiazide-spironolactone, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc, 25, 25mg
Last Updated: September 1, 2011