Highlights for guanfacine
guanfacine Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- changes in emotions or moods
- chest pain or chest tightness
- signs and symptoms of low blood pressure like dizziness; feeling faint or lightheaded, falls; unusually weak or tired
- unusually slow heartbeat
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (Report these to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome.):
- dry mouth
- loss of appetite
- nausea, vomiting
- stomach pain
- trouble sleeping
guanfacine May Interact with Other Medications
- certain medicines for anxiety or sleep
- certain medicines for blood pressure, heart disease, irregular heart beat
- certain medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
- certain medicines for seizures like carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin
- narcotic medicines for pain
How to Use guanfacine
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Do not cut, crush or chew this medicine. Do not take this medicine with a high-fat meal. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take it more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.
This drug may be prescribed for children as young as 6 years. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- heart disease
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- low blood pressure or slow heart rate
- an unusual or allergic reaction to guanfacine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or breast-feeding
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses. If you miss 2 or more doses in a row, you should contact your doctor or health care professional. You may need to restart your medicine at a lower dose.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. Check your heart rate and blood pressure as directed. Ask your doctor or health care professional what your heart rate and blood pressure should be and when you should contact him or her.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not ride a bicycle, drive, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Avoid cough and cold medicines, alcohol, and activities that may make you drowsy or dizzy.
Avoid becoming dehydrated or overheated while taking this medicine.
Your mouth may get dry. Chewing sugarless gum or sucking hard candy, and drinking plenty of water may help. Contact your doctor if the problem does not go away or is severe.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
How Much Does guanfacine Cost?
Compare prices and save money on your next refill!
Lowest price for guanfacine
Last Updated: November 26, 2014