Highlights for galantamine
galantamine Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- changes in vision or balance
- dizziness, fainting spells, or falls
- severe diarrhea
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- slow heartbeat, or palpitations
- stomach pain
- unusual bleeding or bruising, red or purple spots on the skin
- weight loss
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- loss of appetite
- mild diarrhea, especially when starting treatment
galantamine May Interact with Other Medications
- medicines for fungal infections like fluconazole, itraconazole, ketoconazole, terbinafine
- medicines for motion sickness like dimenhydrinate, meclizine, scopolamine
- medicines that relax your muscles for surgery
- other medicines for Alzheimer's disease
- some medicines for depression, anxiety or mood disorders
How to Use galantamine
Take this medicine by mouth with a full glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take with food and plenty of liquid to reduce stomach upset. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take more often than directed. Continue to take your medicine even if you feel better. Do not stop taking except on the advice of your doctor or health care professional.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- asthma or other lung disease
- difficulty passing urine
- heart disease, slow heartbeat
- kidney or liver disease
- seizures (convulsions)
- stomach or intestine disease, ulcers, or stomach bleeding
- an unusual or allergic reaction to galantamine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses. If you miss more than 3 days of treatment, contact your doctor for instructions.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. Check with your doctor or health care professional if your symptoms do not get better or if they get worse.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this drug affects you.
Keep out of reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
galantamine, Patriot Pharmaceuticals, LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of McNEIL-PPC, Inc, 4mg
galantamine, Aurobindo Pharma USA Inc., 8mg
galantamine, Patriot Pharmaceuticals, LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of McNEIL-PPC, Inc, 12mg
galantamine, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc., 8mg
galantamine, Patriot Pharmaceuticals, LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of McNEIL-PPC, Inc, 8mg
galantamine, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc., 4mg
How Much Does galantamine Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for galantamine
Last Updated: February 17, 2015