Highlights for fluphenazine
fluphenazine Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- blurred vision
- breast enlargement in men or women
- breast milk in women who are not breast-feeding
- chest pain, fast or irregular heartbeat
- confusion, restlessness
- dark yellow or brown urine
- difficulty breathing or swallowing
- dizziness or fainting spells
- drooling, shaking
- fever, chills, sore throat
- involuntary or uncontrollable movements of the eyes, mouth, head, arms, and legs
- stomach area pain
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusually weak or tired
- yellowing of skin or eyes
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- difficulty sleeping
- difficulty passing urine
- sexual dysfunction
fluphenazine May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- certain antibiotics like gatifloxacin and sparfloxacin
- certain medicines for mental depression like escitalopram, fluoxetine, paroxetine, sertraline
- other phenothiazines like chlorpromazine, mesoridazine, prochlorperazine, and thioridazine
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- some medications for high blood pressure or heart problems
How to Use fluphenazine
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking this medicine except on the advice of your doctor or health care professional.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this medicine may be prescribed for children as young as 5 years for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- blood disorders or disease
- head injury
- heart disease
- liver disease
- Parkinson's disease
- Reye's syndrome
- uncontrollable movement disorder
- an unusual or allergic reaction to fluphenazine, tartrazine dye, other medicines foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress.
You may get drowsy, dizzy, or have blurred vision. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol can increase possible dizziness or drowsiness. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
This medicine can reduce the response of your body to heat or cold. Dress warm in cold weather and stay hydrated in hot weather. If possible, avoid extreme temperatures like saunas, hot tubs, very hot or cold showers, or activities that can cause dehydration such as vigorous exercise.
This medicine can make you more sensitive to the sun. Keep out of the sun. If you cannot avoid being in the sun, wear protective clothing and use sunscreen. Do not use sun lamps or tanning beds/booths.
Your mouth may get dry. Chewing sugarless gum or sucking hard candy, and drinking plenty of water may help. Contact your doctor if the problem does not go away or is severe.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Protect from light. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
fluphenazine, Sandoz Inc, 1mg
fluphenazine, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc, 1mg
fluphenazine, Par Pharmaceutical Inc, 2.5mg
fluphenazine, Mylan Institutional LLC formerly UDL Laboratories Inc, 2.5mg
fluphenazine, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc, 5mg
fluphenazine, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc, 2.5mg
fluphenazine, Par Pharmaceutical Inc, 10mg
fluphenazine, Mylan Institutional LLC formerly UDL Laboratories Inc, 10mg
fluphenazine, Sandoz Inc, 10mg
fluphenazine, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc, 10mg
fluphenazine, Par Pharmaceutical Inc, 5mg
fluphenazine, Mylan Institutional LLC formerly UDL Laboratories Inc, 5mg
fluphenazine, Sandoz Inc, 5mg
fluphenazine, Par Pharmaceutical Inc, 1mg
fluphenazine, Mylan Institutional LLC formerly UDL Laboratories Inc, 1mg
fluphenazine, Sandoz Inc, 2.5mg
How Much Does fluphenazine Cost?
Compare prices and save money on your next refill!
Lowest price for fluphenazine
Last Updated: May 7, 2013