Highlights for fluoxetine
fluoxetine Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- eye pain, changes in vision
- fast or irregular heart rate, palpitations
- flu-like fever, chills, cough, muscle or joint aches and pains
- suicidal thoughts or other mood changes
- swelling or redness in or around the eye
- trouble sleeping
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusually tired or weak
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- change in sex drive or performance
- dry mouth
- increased or decreased appetite
fluoxetine May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take fluoxetine with any of the following medications:
- other medicines containing fluoxetine, like Prozac or Symbyax
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
- methylene blue (injected into a vein)
Fluoxetine may also interact with the following medications:
- aspirin and aspirin-like medicines
- certain medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
- certain medicines for migraine headaches like almotriptan, eletriptan, frovatriptan, naratriptan, rizatriptan, sumatriptan, zolmitriptan
- medicines for sleep
- medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like warfarin, enoxaparin, and dalteparin
- NSAIDs, medicines for pain and inflammation, like ibuprofen or naproxen
- supplements like St. John's wort, kava kava, valerian
How to Use fluoxetine
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. You can take it with or without food. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take it more often than directed. Do not stop taking this medicine suddenly except upon the advice of your doctor. Stopping this medicine too quickly may cause serious side effects or your condition may worsen.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- bipolar disorder or mania
- liver disease
- suicidal thoughts or history of attempted suicide
- an unusual or allergic reaction to fluoxetine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take double or extra doses.
Tell your doctor if your symptoms do not get better or if they get worse. Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress.
Patients and their families should watch out for new or worsening thoughts of suicide or depression. Also watch out for sudden changes in feelings such as feeling anxious, agitated, panicky, irritable, hostile, aggressive, impulsive, severely restless, overly excited and hyperactive, or not being able to sleep. If this happens, especially at the beginning of treatment or after a change in dose, call your health care professional.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol may interfere with the effect of this medicine. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
Your mouth may get dry. Chewing sugarless gum or sucking hard candy, and drinking plenty of water may help. Contact your doctor if the problem does not go away or is severe.
This medicine may affect blood sugar levels. If you have diabetes, check with your doctor or health care professional before you change your diet or the dose of your diabetic medicine.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
fluoxetine, Par Pharmaceutical Inc, 20mg
fluoxetine, Par Pharmaceutical Inc, 10mg
fluoxetine, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 10mg
How Much Does fluoxetine Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for fluoxetine
Last Updated: February 11, 2015