Highlights for fluoxetine-olanzapine
fluoxetine-olanzapine Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- difficulty in speaking or swallowing
- excessive thirst and/or hunger
- eye pain, changes in vision
- fast heartbeat
- fast talking and excited feelings or actions that are out of control
- fever or chills, sore throat
- flu-like symptoms
- frequently needing to urinate
- muscle spasms or weakness
- painful or prolonged erections
- suicidal thoughts or other mood changes
- swelling or redness in or around the eye
- swelling of face or legs
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusually tired or weak
- weight gain
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- change in sex drive or performance
- constipation or diarrhea
- lowered blood pressure
fluoxetine-olanzapine May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- other medicines containing fluoxetine or olanzapine, such as Prozac, Sarafem, or Zyprexa
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
- methylene blue (injected into a vein)
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- aspirin or aspirin-like medicines
- certain medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
- certain medicines for migraine headaches like almotriptan, eletriptan, frovatriptan, naratriptan, rizatriptan, sumatriptan, zolmitriptan
- medicines for high blood pressure
- medicines for Parkinson's disease
- medicines for sleep
- medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like warfarin, enoxaparin, and dalteparin
- NSAIDs, medicines for pain and inflammation, like ibuprofen or naproxen
- other medicines that prolong the QT interval (cause an abnormal heart rhythm)
- supplements like St. John's wort, kava kava, valerian
How to Use fluoxetine-olanzapine
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. You can take this medicine with or without food. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking this medicine suddenly except upon the advice of your doctor. Stopping this medicine too quickly may cause serious side effects or your condition may worsen.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 10 years of age for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- Alzheimer's disease or dementia
- bleeding disorders
- heart disease, irregular heartbeat, or previous heart attack
- high blood pressure treated with medication
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- low blood pressure
- low levels of potassium or magnesium in the blood
- Parkinson's disease
- receiving electroconvulsive therapy
- strokes, or mini-strokes called transient ischemic attacks (TIAs)
- suicidal thoughts, plans, or attempt; a previous suicide attempt by you or a family member
- an unusual or allergic reaction to fluoxetine, olanzapine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Tell your doctor if your symptoms do not get better or if they get worse. Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. Because it may take several weeks to see the full effects of this medicine, it is important to continue your treatment as prescribed by your doctor.
Patients and their families should watch out for new or worsening thoughts of suicide or depression. Also watch out for sudden changes in feelings such as feeling anxious, agitated, panicky, irritable, hostile, aggressive, impulsive, severely restless, overly excited and hyperactive, or not being able to sleep. If this happens, especially at the beginning of treatment or after a change in dose, call your health care professional.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol may interfere with the effect of this medicine. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
Your mouth may get dry. Chewing sugarless gum or sucking hard candy, and drinking plenty of water may help. Contact your doctor if the problem does not go away or is severe.
This medicine can reduce the response of your body to heat or cold. Dress warm in cold weather and stay hydrated in hot weather. If possible, avoid extreme temperatures like saunas, hot tubs, very hot or cold showers, or activities that can cause dehydration such as vigorous exercise.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Protect from moisture. Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
Symbyax, 6mg, 25mg
Symbyax, 6mg, 50mg
Symbyax, 12mg, 25mg
Symbyax, 12mg, 50mg
Symbyax, 3mg, 25mg
Symbyax Capsule, 6mg, 25mg
Symbyax Capsule, 3mg, 25mg
Symbyax Capsule, 12mg, 50mg
Symbyax Capsule, 12mg, 25mg
Symbyax Capsule, 6mg, 50mg
fluoxetine-olanzapine, Par Pharm, 12mg, 50mg
fluoxetine-olanzapine, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 3mg, 25mg
fluoxetine-olanzapine, Par Pharm, 3mg, 25mg
fluoxetine-olanzapine, AvKARE, Inc., 3mg, 25mg
fluoxetine-olanzapine, AvKARE, Inc., 6mg, 25mg
fluoxetine-olanzapine, AvKARE, Inc., 6mg, 50mg
fluoxetine-olanzapine, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 6mg, 50mg
fluoxetine-olanzapine, Par Pharm, 12mg, 25mg
fluoxetine-olanzapine, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 6mg, 25mg
fluoxetine-olanzapine, Par Pharm, 6mg, 25mg
fluoxetine-olanzapine, Par Pharm, 6mg, 50mg
Last Updated: December 11, 2015