Highlights for fluconazole
fluconazole Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash or itching, hives, swelling of the lips, mouth, tongue, or throat
- dark urine
- feeling dizzy or faint
- irregular heartbeat or chest pain
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- trouble breathing
- unusual bruising or bleeding
- yellowing of the eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- changes in how food tastes
- stomach upset or nausea
fluconazole May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- certain medicines for irregular heart beat like dofetilide, dronedarone, quinidine
- other medicines that prolong the QT interval (cause an abnormal heart rhythm)
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- antiviral medicines for HIV or AIDS
- birth control pills
- certain antibiotics like rifabutin, rifampin
- certain medicines for blood pressure like amlodipine, isradipine, felodipine, hydrochlorothiazide, losartan, nifedipine
- certain medicines for cancer like cyclophosphamide, vinblastine, vincristine
- certain medicines for cholesterol like atorvastatin, lovastatin, fluvastatin, simvastatin
- certain medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances like amitriptyline, midazolam, nortriptyline, triazolam
- certain medicines for diabetes like glipizide, glyburide, tolbutamide
- certain medicines for pain like alfentanil, fentanyl, methadone
- certain medicines for seizures like carbamazepine, phenytoin
- certain medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like warfarin
- medicines that lower your chance of fighting infection like cyclosporine, prednisone, tacrolimus
- NSAIDS, medicines for pain and inflammation, like celecoxib, diclofenac, flurbiprofen, ibuprofen, meloxicam, naproxen
- other medicines for fungal infections
How to Use fluconazole
Take this medicine by mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed. This medicine has been used in children as young as 6 months of age.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- electrolyte abnormalities
- history of irregular heart beat
- kidney disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to fluconazole, other azole antifungals, medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checkups. If you are taking this medicine for a long time you may need blood work. Tell your doctor if your symptoms do not improve. Some fungal infections need many weeks or months of treatment to cure.
Alcohol can increase possible damage to your liver. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
If you have a vaginal infection, do not have sex until you have finished your treatment. You can wear a sanitary napkin. Do not use tampons. Wear freshly washed cotton, not synthetic, panties.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature below 30 degrees C (86 degrees F). Throw away any medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
fluconazole, Greenstone Ltd, 200mg
fluconazole, Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals Inc. a Sun Pharma Company, 100mg
fluconazole, Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals Inc. a Sun Pharma Company, 150mg
fluconazole, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 50mg
fluconazole, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 100mg
fluconazole, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 150mg
fluconazole, Ivax Pharmaceuticals Inc a Division of Teva USA, 100mg
fluconazole, Ivax Pharmaceuticals Inc a Division of Teva USA, 150mg
fluconazole, Ivax Pharmaceuticals Inc a Division of Teva USA, 200mg
fluconazole, Glenmark Pharmaceuticals, 100mg
fluconazole, Glenmark Pharmaceuticals, 200mg
fluconazole, PD-RX Pharmaceuticals Incorporated, 150mg
fluconazole, PD-RX Pharmaceuticals, 200mg
fluconazole, PD-RX Pharmaceuticals Incorporated, 100mg
fluconazole, BluePoint Laboratories, 100mg
fluconazole, BluePoint Laboratories, 200mg
fluconazole, Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals Inc. a Sun Pharma Company, 200mg
fluconazole, Greenstone Ltd, 150mg
fluconazole, Greenstone Ltd, 100mg
fluconazole, Greenstone Ltd, 50mg
fluconazole, Sandoz Inc, 100mg
fluconazole, Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc, 200mg
fluconazole, Sandoz Inc, 200mg
How Much Does fluconazole Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for fluconazole
Last Updated: July 26, 2014