Highlights for febuxostat
febuxostat Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- changes in vision
- chest pain
- confusion, trouble speaking or understanding
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- gout pain
- muscle aches or pains
- severe headaches
- sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg
- trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
- unusually weak or tired
- yellowing of the eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (Report these to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome.):
- changes in appetite
- constipation or diarrhea
- red, hot flush to face or skin
- stomach upset or pain
febuxostat May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- certain medicines used to treat gout
- medicines used to treat cancer
How to Use febuxostat
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. You can take it with or without food. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take it more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. This medicine is not approved for use in children.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- heart disease
- history of stroke
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- taking theophylline, azathioprine, or mercaptopurine
- an unusual or allergic reaction to febuxostat, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
- breast feeding
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. You will need regular blood tests while you are taking this medicine. Your gout may flare up while you are taking this medicine. If you have gout pain, do not stop taking this medicine. You may need to take another medicine with this medicine for gout pain.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Protect from light and moisture. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
How Much Does febuxostat Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for febuxostat
Last Updated: May 4, 2012