Highlights for esomeprazole
esomeprazole Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- bone, muscle or joint pain
- breathing problems
- chest pain or chest tightness
- dark yellow or brown urine
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- feeling faint or lightheaded
- fever or sore throat
- muscle spasms
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusually weak or tired
- upset stomach
- yellowing of the eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (Report these to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome.):
- dry mouth
- stomach pain or gas
esomeprazole May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- antiviral medicines for HIV or AIDS
- certain medicines for fungal infections like ketoconazole and itraconazole
- iron salts
- St. John's Wort
How to Use esomeprazole
Take this medicine by mouth. Swallow the capsules whole with a drink of water. Follow the directions on the prescription or product label. Do not crush, break or chew. The capsules can be opened and the contents sprinkled on applesauce. Do not crush the contents into the food. This medicine works best if taken on an empty stomach at least one hour before a meal. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- bloody or black, tarry stools
- chest pain
- have had heartburn for over 3 months
- have heartburn with dizziness, lightheadedness, or sweating
- liver disease
- low levels of magnesium in the blood
- nausea, vomiting
- stomach pain
- trouble swallowing
- unexplained weight loss
- vomiting with blood
- an unusual or allergic reaction to esomeprazole, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
If you are taking this medicine without a prescription, it may take 1 to 4 days for it to fully relieve your heartburn.
If you are using this medicine with a prescription from your healthcare professional for a more serious condition, it can take several days before your condition gets better. Check with your doctor or health care professional if your condition does not start to get better, or if it gets worse.
If you take this medicine for long periods of time, you may need blood work done.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Protect from light and moisture. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
Nexium 24HR, 22.3mg
How Much Does esomeprazole Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for esomeprazole
Last Updated: April 1, 2014