Highlights for ergonovine
ergonovine Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- chest pain
- cold or discolored hands, feet
- fever or chills
- high or low blood pressure
- increased bleeding
- numbness, pain, tingling
- stomach cramps, pain
- unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- change in taste
- nausea, vomiting
- temporary ringing of ears
ergonovine May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- certain antibiotics like clarithromycin, erythromycin, or troleandomycin
- grapefruit juice
- herbal supplements like ephedra, ma huang
- medicines for colds, flu, or breathing difficulties
- medicines for fungal infections like ketoconazole, itraconazole, posaconazole, and voriconazole
- medicines for migraine headaches like almotriptan, frovatriptan, sumatriptan
- medicines used to induce labor
- nitrates for chest pain
- other ergot alkaloids like ergotamine, dihydroergotamine, ergonovine, methysergide
- some medicines for HIV
How to Use ergonovine
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. This medicine may be swallowed whole or melted under the tongue. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on the advice of your doctor or health care professional.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- heart disease, shunts
- high blood pressure
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- poor circulation
- an unusual or allergic reaction to ergonovine, ergot alkaloids, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Follow your doctor's instructions for how to take this medicine and what to watch for. Visit your doctor for a check up as directed.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Protect from light. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
Last Updated: April 20, 2009